Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got around to shooting my husky m46 in 9.3x57 with the 2-7x leopold. i was using the 280gr fn gc (bull shop) and imr4895. the middle target was for sighting it in. the bottom left target is around 1 1/4 - 1 3/8" (outside edge - outside edge) at 100 yards(5 shots/benched). now all i need is dummkopf to write the charge of powder in!!! the only saving grace is the powder charge is minimal, 37 - 38gr of imr4895.

i think i am getting old. i used to able to know what powder charge goes into what cartridge. now i have to look it up. you know if you go to kitchen to fill up your coffee cup and go to table to sit down. well not me, i have to get back up and bring the refilled coffee cup to the table. dummkopf is usually my nice word to describe myself. i won't tell you the bad word(s) to describe myself.

target and the husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57

Attachments

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,869 Posts
Nice final group. Now, to load up a few more and pull it to the right.

Yes, as we get older, we spend a lot of time standing around trying to remember what we started out to do! :)

Reactions: tdoyka and MoreBS

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I understand perfectly. happens to me all the time.

Nice rifle, my 9.3x62 also wears a 2-7x Leopold; seems to fit that 9.3 size bullet.

Just wondering where you get the cast bullets? couldn't find any 9.3 at the Bullet Shop.

sort of looking for a deer load. the jacketed 9.3 work fine on elk and bears, but are a little tooo much for whitetails.

Well, enough typing got to find one of the 3 cups of coffe I've misplaced over the last 3 days (cold 2 day old drinks fine with me).

·
Registered
7,779 Posts

Nice rifle, my 9.3x62 also wears a 2-7x Leopold; seems to fit that 9.3 size bullet.

Just wondering where you get the cast bullets? couldn't find any 9.3 at the Bullet Shop.

sort of looking for a deer load. the jacketed 9.3 work fine on elk and bears, but are a little tooo much for whitetails.

Well, enough typing got to find one of the 3 cups of coffe I've misplaced over the last 3 days (cold 2 day old drinks fine with me).
Harry, if I might suggest, I think a PP 285gr factory load (or duplicate) would work just fine for short to medium ranges on whitetail. I've used other similar ammo 286gr Core Lokt on a much tougher Georgia Boar of over 300 pounds, but it's loaded a bit faster than factory PP.

This is the recovered 285gr bullet from a nice Kentucky buck. Quartering away, passing through about 3' of "deer".

Attachments

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
i finally got around to shooting my husky m46 in 9.3x57 with the 2-7x leopold. i was using the 280gr fn gc (bull shop) and imr4895. the middle target was for sighting it in. the bottom left target is around 1 1/4 - 1 3/8" (outside edge - outside edge) at 100 yards(5 shots/benched). now all i need is dummkopf to write the charge of powder in!!! the only saving grace is the powder charge is minimal, 37 - 38gr of imr4895.

i think i am getting old. i used to able to know what powder charge goes into what cartridge. now i have to look it up. you know if you go to kitchen to fill up your coffee cup and go to table to sit down. well not me, i have to get back up and bring the refilled coffee cup to the table. dummkopf is usually my nice word to describe myself. i won't tell you the bad word(s) to describe myself.

target and the husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57
Looks Great, Excellent Performance! That's a load that will do anything you're wanting.

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

the bull shop has them.

bullshop.weebly.com

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harry, if I might suggest, I think a PP 285gr factory load (or duplicate) would work just fine for short to medium ranges on whitetail. I've used other similar ammo 286gr Core Lokt on a much tougher Georgia Boar of over 300 pounds, but it's loaded a bit faster than factory PP.

This is the recovered 285gr bullet from a nice Kentucky buck. Quartering away, passing through about 3' of "deer".
i loaded 285gr ppu to fireform the 9.3x57.(8x57 to 9.3x57) i could not find nothing wrong with jacketed bullets but the price($20/50 pcs ppu vs $30ish/100 pcs Bull Shop cast boolits) the 285gr ppu is soft lead/copper, perfect combination for the 9.3x57 velocities.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Actually looking for cast too go lighter. My 286 load is good for everything big. It will go thru 2 whitetails easily.

Thinking of the Vulcan norma 232 gr.

Also thought of hollow pointing my 286gr PPV bullets to get expansion and reduce the shoot thru.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,568 Posts
The only room I go in and not forget why is the bathroom.

"What the heck, might as well make use of it while I'm in here"

RJ

Reactions: broom_jm and tdoyka

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually looking for cast too go lighter. My 286 load is good for everything big. It will go thru 2 whitetails easily.

Thinking of the Vulcan norma 232 gr.

Also thought of hollow pointing my 286gr PPV bullets to get expansion and reduce the shoot thru.
i like two holes in what i shoot. ;)

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Two holes is good. But I hunt NY and Pennsylvania, thick woods and loys of other hunters. So I'd like it to go thru and have little energy left.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i hunt in sw PA too. thick cover is the name of the game. i shot 12-15 feet thru a 2+" opening the brush to get my avatar. i was using a 130gr nosler bt in my 270. he ran about 30 yards thu the heavy brush till he died. i didn't know. he didn't leave a blood trail, nor was there snow. just me and a sinking heart. i found him and i looked where i shot the buck. i was in shoulder but no exit wound. i flied dressed the buck and the diaphragm was intact but i found the lung cavity was not. it was lung soup with chucks of heart. later, i skinned the buck and the shoulder meat was so bloodshot so i threw it away. i also threw away about 1/2 of the ribs. the other side was good. the bullet was a grenade. it was the last deer i shot with jacketed bullets. 8 years or so later and many deer in freezer i have found cast boolits quite accurate and depending on the alloy used, i can either expand the boolit or go straight thru. i go around 12 bhn - 15 bhn and find that i can eat up to the hole.

·
Registered
49 Posts
nice rifle tdoyka! I shot a husky sporter years ago, it weighed about 6 1/2 lbs w/open sights, kicked pretty good in 30-06, but layed them in there smoothly. A pal of mine had a 99 savage in .358 win. He shot cast boolits all the time for deer and elk, must have been cast hard and had complete penetration on deer and found intact bullets on the far side of the ribcage in elk. I witnessed him potting a nice pan sized fork horn muley from the saddle. Could have used a little expansion but still ended up with venison.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts