Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2475 rounds. 13 x 125 on the right (1625), 150 in the tall jug in the center, 600 in the jugs to the left and 100 in the far left jug. The jug to the far left is by itself because those rounds are crimped around the mouth. The others are not. It's faster to load them and come back to crimp them later. I still have at least 2400 bullets to load. Not sure if I have that many cases remaining...

What am I going to do with all of them? Just save 'em. I don't shoot in this political climate...

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
What were the containers originally used for or were they bought new? Myself I just dump them in GI ammo boxes. They have a rubber gasket seal and are moisture tight. Found this out back in '97 when I had five feet water in my basement. None of those GI cans leaked a drop of water after submersion for two months.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Another one here who uses GI ammo cans.

I don't see any markings on those containers. I'd identify those loads. Maybe it's just me, but a few years down the road I might be scatching my head and wondering when did I load these? How much of what powder did I use? ect. ect.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I'm guessing that's a bunch of .223? As much as I like reloading, that looks like it was a ton of work, unless you've got a good progressive press.

If you're preparing for a potential "event" in the future, you might consider packaging some of those up in groups of 20, or so. Would make it easier to grab n' go. Definitely need to label what you've got there, too.

I don't use the GI ammo cans, but purchased several of the MTM ammo cases. Same idea, but they're plastic and after several years hunting salt-water marshes, I can tell you that they are air-tight so they'll protect your stuff.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I'm hoping he meant this "tropical" climate, and he lives in northern Australia, or something. That way the thread won't get locked. :)

·
Banned
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look a' them jugs!

Those containers are in what you buy lemonade and iced tea powder at Walmart, specifically the Great Value brand. The larger once held iced tea, the smaller once contained lemonade. Each one has a small slip of paper on it, telling me what the load is. I had about 5,000 that were resized wrong and I had no idea what powder was in them. I went back and resized them all. The second time around, I put a note in the container telling me what it is if I ever have to pull them apart again. Each one was loaded by hand. I use a single-stage Rockchucker. The brass is all sized beforehand, the cases primed before and all I do is drop powder and seat bullet. It really doesn't take very long to do several hundred rounds. I loaded 1100 on New Year's Day, just to provide a comparison. I will have to go back and crimp them but that is a fairly quick operation, too...

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Very impressive! And to think I do only 20 to 40 in one sitting!

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Hey Stretch, congratulations on 1000+ posts! :)

I usually load with a RockChucker as well, but the most I've done in a single day is maybe 300 rounds of pistol ammo. I normally will take a given "lot" of cases and prep them in stages. Still, I have never seated anywhere NEAR 1,000 bullets, in a single day. In fact, I don't think I've ever purchased 1,000 bullets, at one time. :)

·
Banned
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Stretch, congratulations on 1000+ posts!

I usually load with a RockChucker as well, but the most I've done in a single day is maybe 300 rounds of pistol ammo. I normally will take a given "lot" of cases and prep them in stages. Still, I have never seated anywhere NEAR 1,000 bullets, in a single day. In fact, I don't think I've ever purchased 1,000 bullets, at one time.
I just sat down around 1700 and started loading. I kept at it for about six hours, if I recall correctly. The more I loaded, the more I wanted to load. Finally, I had to stop. I was tired. Dropping powder into 50 cases at a time is tedious. There's always the risk that you will get impatient and move to the next case without completely lifting the funnel over the mouth of the previous case, slide the loading tray and spill the powder. I did that just once, but was lucky to only have charged a few cases. Then you have to put the cases into the loading block and dump a bunch of bullets into the tray you use to keep them handy. It's a tedious job but in the end, you have a nice pile of ammo. I have over 2,000 still to load. Then I get to crimp every one of them...

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I think that'd be my concern too - getting tired, sloppy, and making a mistake.

Thanks Jason for the kudos! I didn;t even realize it until you made mention of it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.