Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hard time about it but I passed on two different rifles today. A buddy and I went to fairly far away gun shop today, and I found two different rifles that Ive always wanted. The first that I found was a mint Winchester XTR in 300 H and H. The secind was a 03 Springfield in 308 Norma mag. The smith who did that one was good. It was a gorgeous peice of work. The XTR was $700 and the Springfield was $350. I just about turned around after we left but I didnt. Im probably gonna kick myself but Im saving my cash for building my 6.5x284. Why is it when you come across something like these two peices of work you dont have the cash but when you have the cash you dont come across them. He also had a Whitworth Mark X in 7 mag. That one would make a good companion to my Mark X 375 H and H for $350. IM sure Im gonna be kicking myself in the morning. But theres a show next week that IM gonna go to, we'll see what I come across there.

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Probably because you never have the cash! I know everytime I have money something comes up.

I was on a old military rifle kick a few weeks ago and was looking for a 7x57 or a 6.5x55. I found them, but after seeing how beat up they were I just couldn't give $150 for them. I don't really want any more projects.

·
6,248 Posts
I know, but then I'd have to start reloading for them, which would make for more dies, powder, and piles of brass.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,201 Posts
Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Even if that converted 03A3 didn't have a scope mount on it, $350 is still a heckuva deal, especially the way you described it! Also, if you had a 308 Norma Mag, would you really need a 300 H&H ? Seems pretty redundant, to me, with their numbers being dang near identical.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Found me a Ruger M77 mkII in 220 Swift with a Burris scope for 499 at my local pawn shop. Rifle was mint. Now mind you I've wanted a Swift for years, but just didn't ante up the down payment. Not really a bad price for the rig, it might be there still but I doubt it. Should've gotten it. I may just head there tomorrow and see...

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Found me a Ruger M77 mkII in 220 Swift with a Burris scope for 499 at my local pawn shop. Rifle was mint. Now mind you I've wanted a Swift for years, but just didn't ante up the down payment. Not really a bad price for the rig, it might be there still but I doubt it. Should've gotten it. I may just head there tomorrow and see...
I am going to be in East Texas fishing in a few days. Just where is this pawn shop;-)???

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have done a bunch of hunting witha 0-3 Springfield. this is what I do NOT like about them. the safety SUCKS. there's nothing you can do to make it better, it just sucks...going thru the brush, it will be bumped and go off safe....BAD ! very bad. the dad-gum bolt selector will inadvertently get grabbed by a brushpile and get hung in "Neutral" and the bolt will open and fall out. I also don't think the Springfields are near as strong as the 17 Enfield, (P-14) and the 17 has the very best safety on a bolt gun, EVER. much better action for whatever you're gonna do just my .02c ......

·
6,248 Posts
No kidding Shawn, I need a career that will let me go buy guns and reload all the time. I've thought a custom precision reloading business lately, but I don't know if I want the headache.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I have done a bunch of hunting witha 0-3 Springfield. this is what I do NOT like about them. the safety SUCKS. there's nothing you can do to make it better, it just sucks...going thru the brush, it will be bumped and go off safe....BAD ! very bad. the dad-gum bolt selector will inadvertently get grabbed by a brushpile and get hung in "Neutral" and the bolt will open and fall out. I also don't think the Springfields are near as strong as the 17 Enfield, (P-14) and the 17 has the very best safety on a bolt gun, EVER. much better action for whatever you're gonna do just my .02c ......
Outlaw,

If you were doing most of your hunting out of a stand or ground blind, would those problems concern you very much? I ask because my wife will most likely be using one for our out-of-state hunts this fall and I don't want her struggling with a bad safety or a bolt falling out. What measures did you take, if any, to prevent these problems?

Did the gun shoot accurately and reliably?

Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.