Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time someone comes up with a new caliber they get hornady to make it then they the gunmaker drop it. How many calibers can they make and not sell before they start hurting. I noticed sometimes when you see a new caliber it says in paternership with hornady

·
Banned
43 Posts
We don't know anything about the deals that were struck to get Hornady to create those loads. For all we know they get a gunmaker to pony up some coin for the development and if it is dropped they make a huge profit off the deal.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Maybe I missed something but what cartridge are you referring to, specifically?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have a feeling they are doing fine.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm still curious as to what new rounds he is talking about. Anyone know? .30 TC perhaps?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Its not the manufactuers or Hornadys fault, its we the consumers that determine what will survive or die. Remington has very poor record of releasing new guns/calibers/ammo and then dropping them. I still would love to have a Model 7 in 6.8 SPC which would be a perfect youth rifle but Remington never prosude that.

CD

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I'm still curious as to what new rounds he is talking about. Anyone know? .30 TC perhaps?
I did a little searching and can't find evidence of anybody announcing cartridges that they've dropped. Not that I'd feel too bad for Hornady, necessarily, but I'm always interested to hear about cartridges being added or dropped from their lineup.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I could be wrong (obvious) but possibly the .480 Ruger - Other than that there may be one or two others that I can't think of but who knows the 480 Ruger may make a come back. It makes a lot of sense to me - large bullets and moderate pressures.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Well the .30 TC has been an abject marketing failure. I believe it is a partner deal between Hornady and T/C. It won't do anything that a .308 won't. It was introduced with the "Superperformance" technology standard. You can get .308 Superperformance ammo as well. Then they offered the new gun in both calibers and tried to bill the .30 TC as superior to a standard .30-06 which is ridiculous. Why anyone would have chosen a new Icon in .30 TC over .308 is beyond me. If they wanted to sell .30 TCs, they never should have offered the same gun in .308 Win as well. The .30 TC was destined from the start to die on the vine.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
When the Icon was first introduced I was looking into acquiring a new, modern rifle which Icon filled the parameters. Only problem was the chambering which too my way of thinking was marketed by a bunch of morons. I not only didn't buy there rifle but have taken the nearly two dozen rifle purchases since then too another manufacturer. I ended up getting most of my wants with the second manufacturer. T/C lost the revenue on those two dozen rifles and a chance for future sales by there stupidity.

I foresee the future will be bleak for me because I'm not into tactical, plastic or painted finishes. My newest enjoyment is rediscovering many of the old time cartridges chambered in todays modern actions. I'm getting my wood stocks, blued metal and having fun exploring those old cartridges. What more can one want?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I foresee the future will be bleak for me because I'm not into tactical, plastic or painted finishes. My newest enjoyment is rediscovering many of the old time cartridges chambered in todays modern actions. I'm getting my wood stocks, blued metal and having fun exploring those old cartridges. What more can one want?
Amen to that! I too have become more and more interested in older cartidges, and I have always preferred wood stocked, blue rifles.
Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
I think Hornady will be just fine

I believe since Hornady has been around for a good long while, that they will be OK. All the best...
Gil

·
Banned
12 Posts
I think that a lot of the problem isn't with the ammunition manufacturer, but with the gun compnaies not promoting some of these new chamberings properly.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,670 Posts
I think that a lot of the problem isn't with the ammunition manufacturer, but with the gun compnaies not promoting some of these new chamberings properly.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining us. Please note that I have deleted your signature as it appears to be commercial advertising.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I've always been curious what percentage of firearms a manufacturer expects too sell just because its a new cartridge. There may have been a time when this was a very healthy percentage. Believe today with better information available too the shooter that the percentages have dropped but by how much. Proof exist that too much of a good thing is diasterous..i.e. Winchesters final bankrupcy after the WSM debacle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts