Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know I'm just getting over surgery from mid July and haven't been out to the range since late May. Today me and the neighbor went out and I took my never fired yet Winchester M70 7x57. It was a joy to shoot after sighting in. I also took Big Bertha, which I hadn't shot yet either, a Remington 700 Classic 35 Whelen. I had made some rounds for it to include five each of the 225 gr Nostler Partition bullet, ten of the 250 gr Nosler PT bullet, five of Hornady's 200 gr bullet and five cast bullets.

I found out real quick this 128 pound feller can't handle the 35 Whelen. After firing 17 of the 20 rounds I brought I quit. It was fairly rough on the shoulder even with a Past Magnum pad but what got me mostly was a sore check that ended up swelling later on. Reckon I'll have that one up for sale.

Still it was fun being at the range today and the weather was absolutely perfect. It was good to get out and shoot again after nearly four months.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bushwakr, Ive got the same rifle. Its fun to shoot but she does nail you hard. And Im 260lbs. It is an accurate rifle though. I do like to shoot it. If you reload ya might want to down load it. Ive always wanted one and walked into a hardware store one day and they had it there, I had to walk out with it. Hope you keep enjoying yours like do mine.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Bushwakr, glad you're getting back in shape. It's been a long haul since May to get to where you are. Hope you're feeling a lot better now.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't believe how it beat my jaw. It was actually sore and looking in the mirror it was a bit swollen...never had a rifle do that to me. My Sharps 45-90 wasn't that bad. Maybe I need to just put back on what I lost but, I doubt that will help the cheek much.

a long haul indeed, nsb-a very long haul.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
As some know I'm just getting over surgery from mid July and haven't been out to the range since late May. Today me and the neighbor went out and I took my never fired yet Winchester M70 7x57. It was a joy to shoot after sighting in. I also took Big Bertha, which I hadn't shot yet either, a Remington 700 Classic 35 Whelen. I had made some rounds for it to include five each of the 225 gr Nostler Partition bullet, ten of the 250 gr Nosler PT bullet, five of Hornady's 200 gr bullet and five cast bullets.

I found out real quick this 128 pound feller can't handle the 35 Whelen. After firing 17 of the 20 rounds I brought I quit. It was fairly rough on the shoulder even with a Past Magnum pad but what got me mostly was a sore check that ended up swelling later on. Reckon I'll have that one up for sale.

Still it was fun being at the range today and the weather was absolutely perfect. It was good to get out and shoot again after nearly four months.
Kinda sounds like my Savage 99 in 300 Savage. It is wors(er) than my 30-06, by far.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gents,

I am of the opinion that stock design has a great deal to do with this as well. My 700 in 35 Whelen came with one of those Hogue jobs, uglier than homemade soap. The thing is, though, that it was so much easier to handle than the laminated stock that I put on it later. This new stock, while beautiful, has generated all kinds of issues with the accuracy of the gun, as well as giving the cheek weld a good push, so I do feel your pain. Its such a nice gun to have though, maybe an ugly stock would help?

The same with the Savage 99, the fellow that I bought it from put on a heavy fiberglass stock on it, a real jewel that I have not seen before or since anywhere else. It is so tolerable now, that I use it to teach my kids trigger control. I did have to put a beartooth (no relation) cheek piece on the rifle to line up with the scope, however.

Best to you gents.

Steve

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts

Don't underestimate that Mauser. In cool hands, it is a pleasant shooting, Very capable and dead reliable cartridge - pun intended. Sometimes I wonder why I own all these "other" guns?

Don't know what your ordeal was but sincerely want to wish you well and welcome back!!!!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts

Might want to look into these.

Witt Machine

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made a mistake in counting. Last night I opened the plastic container I had my rounds in and it wasn't 20 I mentioned and that I fired just 17. There was 30 rounds and I fired 26 of them while another guy wanted to try it and said he had enough after firing two. In between shooting three rounds from the 7x57 I'd go to the 35 and fire three, let it cool and go back to the 7x57 so, I probably fired 48 rounds that day between the two rifles over a three hour period.

The 7x57 is a beautiful rifle and mild shooting. Not as bad even as the 270. I actually got better groups with IMR4350 and the old Nosler PT 140 gr bullets. Those were the ones that were a "gold" color compared to the new ones which look more like copper. Three shot group of 3/4" with that bullet/powder.

That's a Leupold 2.5-8x mounted on it and the setup is sweet. The Whelen is a fine looking rifle but if you can't shoot it ou have two choices, sell it or turn it into a safe queen and that would be a shame. Some rifles just like to smack you in the face. I've had four 270's since 1971 and the only one that gave me trouble like that was a Weatherby Vanguard...smacked me every time I pulled the trigger. It got traded.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Get a MUZZLE BRAKE from Witt Machine for the Whelen and you won't have to worry about recoil at the range. No one notices it when hunting, but the range always seems to be tough on the shoulder.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
I don't know if it is the photo angle but the drop on that stock looks a bit low to me. I know that with many European stocks they set them real low, I think because they shoot a lot of driven game where that shape would maybe be more advantageous, but they kick the doo doo out of me. I had some custom made rifles shipped across from the US back in the late 80s early 90s and the stocks on those where perfect with the top line level with the barrel centre line and this appeared, to me anyway to moderate recoil to a greater degree. Lovely stock but that shape might just be your problem. The muzzle brake will help, I have one on my 300H&H and sometimes overseas on my 257 but the blow back is horrendous on both. I don't like them at all.

Heh! Great to hear the gun is kicking ###t out of you though Bushy. Better than lying on that couch even if you could hug that pooch.

I'm with Bandit here as well. I hate shooting paper; always finish up with a sore cheek or sore nose or sore forehead(favourite with the 375JDJ) but something soft and fluffy and I don't even realise the gun has gone off.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,562 Posts
My son's Win. 1300 beats the snout out of me, I have to crowd my cheek down onto it really hard to get on the beads. Hurts worse than my Sendero SFII in 300RUM. My 700BDL 35 Whelen isn't too bad, but it lets you know after 20 or so rounds.

RJ

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bushwackr,
Might I suggest that you replace the recoil pad with one from LimbSaver. I have a 338-06 and it beat me to death. After 6 shots or so my right hand would tingle with every shot, along with a shooting pain in my shoulder. I checked the recoil pad and it felt a little firm for my taste, so I swapped it out for the LimbSaver. Now it is a pleasure to shoot, even with the 250 grain bullets

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I am wondering how your stock fits. I am a small fellow, too. A little stocky with short arms. I have had two back surgeries and have all kinds of hardware holding up my lower back. Also have blown disk in my neck. I live with chronic pain. I cannot stand much recoil. I have found that rifles that were too painful to shoot became docile after I had the stocks cut to fit and a Limbsavor pad installed. I thought I was going to have to live with a 243 after my first surgery. I traded my son my good 7mm Mag and figured that I was just destined to be a small bore hunter. Now, I find my Rem. 700 BDL in 35 Whelen not at all bad with full power 225 grain Barnes loads. Every one takes recoil differently and it may not help you. Stock fit and a good pad put me back in the game. Also, a little weight in the stock may help, also.

I just hate to see anyone give up on a Whelen. Get measured for stock fit and see if maybe your gun smith can had a recoil reducer to the stock. Anything to shoot the Whelen.

Reactions: gumboot505

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if it is the photo angle but the drop on that stock looks a bit low to me.
Those pictures are not the Whelen it's my M70 7x47. It's a sweetheart compared to the Whelen.

I don't mind the recoil all that much it's the smacking in the face I don't like. I've only had one other rifle like that and I sold that sucker and it was a 270-a caliber dear to my heart and never had that problem out of the 4-5 I've owned.

Heh! Great to hear the gun is kicking ###t out of you though Bushy. Better than lying on that couch even if you could hug that pooch.
You have a point there. At least I got back to the range again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Too much cast off will direct recoil into your cheek. Check the stock situation. You could always make a trial check rest to move your cheek to the cast-on position. That pushes the rifle away from your cheek when it recoils. If that cures it, a trip to a stock bender may be in order.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
If that is a standard 700 fit stock then the height thing I mentioned should not be a problem as all of those I have handled when in the US, the stocks always seemed 'right'. These days I always look along the top of a stock and if it lines up or is slightly higher than the centre line of the bolt, I am happy with it. Anything lower than that and I don't want to know. It was the one thing that worried me about the T/C Encore because that line is 1 1/2 inches below the barrel, but I believe the pistol grip style gives that bit of extra control and stops the gun lifting. Even with the 375JDJ and a 16 1/2 inch barrel I can shoot continually without discomfort. The T/C Flexi stock also helps of course.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.