Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
IMO you need higher rings. That will keep you from hard contact with the cheek piece.
The higher the rings, the worse the recoil. You go from having the soft fleshy part of your cheek on the stock to having your JAW on the stock. You are ALWAYS better off with the LOWEST rings possible.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My jaw was what was getting whacked. That's the second rifle I've ever shouldered that did that. That is a good looking stock on that Remington and I wouldn't want to replace it. There's little drop at heel/toe. I think the stock is fine, it's just me, apparently.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I once owned a .300 Winchester magnum that was bruising my shoulder... I sent it off to have a Pachmayer decelerator pad installed, and had it Magna-Ported... No problems after that.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I can see a good recoil pad but a have never been a fan of muzzle brakes and Magnaporting. If I feel the need to do that I need another rifle.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I can see a good recoil pad but a have never been a fan of muzzle brakes and Magnaporting. If I feel the need to do that I need another rifle.
The nice thing about the Witt Machine muzzle brake is it can be removed. That way you don't get crippled on the bench, or deaf when hunting.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I might take this one out one more time and finish the four rounds I didn't shoot last time but, I may wrap a towel around the stock to keep my mug safe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I couldn't believe how it beat my jaw. It was actually sore and looking in the mirror it was a bit swollen...never had a rifle do that to me. My Sharps 45-90 wasn't that bad. Maybe I need to just put back on what I lost but, I doubt that will help the cheek much.

a long haul indeed, nsb-a very long haul.
That is a sign of a poorly fitting stock. You might try a strap on cheek pad but my guess is that stock just does not fit you correctly.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,304 Posts
They post is six years old.
He said he'd likely be selling it, and hasn't returned in five years....

·
Registered
109 Posts
They post is six years old.
He said he'd likely be selling it, and hasn't returned in five years....
Thank you captain obvious. If I sold every gun I thought about selling I wouldn't have anymore. My real objective in answering this post is to try and help and educate every other gun owner who has been belted in the cheek by an I'll fitting stock. Being fairly new on here I am working my way through all the old threads gleaming up nuggets of knowledge. If resurrecting one old thread helps impart that knowledge and helps someone is it not worth our time? I believe I am not the only new member here? Knowledge preserved is knowledge used. Thank you for keeping me in my toes.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,123 Posts
Settle down.....

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
The Brits developed stock fit in shotguns and rifles a long time ago and many, many books and articles have been written about it. The factories try to guess what sized guy is most likely to buy their gun and they make them all to fit him.
I'm no where NEAR his size, weight, height and build and you probably aren't either.

Here's a few 'rules' that can be shown to work by duct tape and a few spacers......unless you need shorter. Then, that's a problem until you find what fits YOU, and cut down the 'Joe Average' gun to fit.

If a stock is whacking your JAW--- The comb is too low or the scope is too high. Worst offenders include pre-war M70 with a high mounted scope.

If the stock whacks your CHEEK-- The stock is too short in length of pull. Tape an inch spacer to the butt and try it.

If the gun hurts your SHOULDER--- widen the butt with a Readers Digest or National Geo taped to it, (or Past pad), or increase weight with a small bag of shot between you and the gun.

Recoil should be transferred to your shoulder, face and both hands in the field, but off the bench the hands shouldn't play a role. That increases kick to the face and shoulder.
A standing rest is by far the most comfortable way to shoot a heavy kicker

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thank you captain obvious. If I sold every gun I thought about selling I wouldn't have anymore. My real objective in answering this post is to try and help and educate every other gun owner who has been belted in the cheek by an I'll fitting stock. Being fairly new on here I am working my way through all the old threads gleaming up nuggets of knowledge. If resurrecting one old thread helps impart that knowledge and helps someone is it not worth our time? I believe I am not the only new member here? Knowledge preserved is knowledge used. Thank you for keeping me in my toes.
Yes, an old thread, but still useful. When I was rather inexperienced with rifle shooting, a co-worked asked me if I would install a scope on His Remington 700 in .270 Winchester, and sight it in for him. That rifle basically beat the fool out of me. I was very glad to get the job done and not have to shoot it ever again. Not so much in the shoulder, but it beat my cheek to death with every squeeze of the trigger. I have learned a lot about ill fitting stocks and other ways to dampen felt recoil. I still learn from threads like these.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,304 Posts
Learning from threads is the whole point, that's why they don't go away.

Quoting and responding to an OP, which has long gone or was a drive-by; doesn't help the person who asked questions.
As can clearly be seen, there are plenty of folks who are bored; and simply look for a thread with a "new reply". They rarely read the thread, but respond anyway.
When an archaeological minded member goes digging around in old threads and responds, usually what happens is there becomes at least one break in the thread. So what started as a specific question for one person, gets morphed into another thing or things for other people.

We're all human, and it tends to be our nature to off-track things somewhat for a "related" discussion. As long as it's current and generally on topic, that's perfectly fine. When it begins to span many years or decades, the waters get too muddied.
There have been plenty of examples where a thread gets continued on, merely for the sake of "Hey guys, this has to be a record! Lets see how many posts we can get this thing to!".

Anyone wishing to glean knowledge from the threads in the forum, would do well to do the obvious, and start with the Stickies first. In them you can find a treasure trove of information, and help keep the forum concise and clear; such as:

--Don't dump every random post in General. When you join and have a question about a handgun, don't just dump it in General, because it was the first forum you found.
--Take note of the date of things. If the OP asked a question 20 years ago, and is gone or got his question answered; there is no help offered to him to continue a one-sided discussion. If you think there is some other info to add to the general topic, then by all means; start your own thread on the subject and share your experiences and knowledge about it.
-- How do I find what a gun may be worth.

Cheers

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.