Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Beartooth 250 gr LFNGC has turned out to be my bullet for the 44 Marlin 1894 lever. Should this profile bullet be safe in the magazine under fairly heavy recoil? I need to talk to Marshal but I have not talked with him lately and hate to bother him. I should go thru the literature first and I will but I just thought of it and can't believe I have not considered it sooner.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Chief, I don't think you will have any problem with that bullet. I have not tried this particular bullet in my 1894. What kind of load are you using.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the most accurate round so far. I use Starline cases, WLP primers, 13.7 gr of Accurate #5. I have got consistent 2 inch and under, 5 shot groups with my modified Ashley ghost ring from 50 yds and had some 4 inch groups at 100 yds last summer with the same sight set up. I had considered putting the scope back on it just to see what it would do at 100 but I use it for hunting mostly and I limit shots to 75 yds and under when I carry it. I have not taken a deer with this round but have taken a couple with the 290 gr LFNGC. It is devastating on deer but I just can't get it to shoot beyond 50 yds with any consistency. The lighter bullet must stabilize better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:( it seems that the heavier bullets won't stablize in the marlin's slow 1/38 twist. cause i tried the lee 310,and had no luck at 100y. but if pushed them faster they did better, but not much. talk about recoil!. so i'll stick with a lighter bullet. but just curious what others had luck with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:( it seems that the heavier bullets won't stablize in the marlin's slow 1/38 twist. cause i tried the lee 310,and had no luck at 100y. but if pushed them faster they did better, but not much. talk about recoil!. so i'll stick with a lighter bullet. but just curious what others had luck with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts