Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start casting 44 magnun 240 grain lead bullets . I have a single stage press.And i plan on buying a .429 bullet mould 6 pc .ANd a lee sizer for the press. but how do i lube a bullet ? . I know a lubesizer does all of this but i allready have a press and a sizer kit is only 15.39$ .lube im looking at is in sticks of 1"x4" .Also on molds design for gas checks can i just skip that part ?. Couldnt find a mould over 300 grains without a gas check .

·
Registered
9 Posts
TK,
Lee includes a bottle of Alox with their sizing kits and clear instructions for use.
Before you apply the alox, heat the bottle in some boiled water.
I use a small plastic container to hold the cast bullets. Dribble a little lube over the bullets while shaking the container to apply the lube all over.
Then lay them out on waxed paper to dry for a day or so.

If you don't intend to load for maximum velocity, just shoot them without a gas check.
They will shoot fine.
You don't need to buy an expensive lubesizer - just use what you have.

Kirby.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You may want to reconsider and look into a larger diameter bullet and a .430 sizer...
You CAN apply the stick lube by hand before you size your bullets, but it's messy and time consuming... And the LLA will work just as well.
The Lee sizer will also allow you to seat the gas check, should you so be inclined to purchase some.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a method on ammosmith youtube channel. heat the lube of to a liquid like state .place the bullets in a dish or pan of sum sort then pour in the hot materail until it deep enough to the ring( dont know technical term for the lube ring lol) . lubes about 15+ bullets at a time .
probably go with a 240 grain mold .uses less material and doesnt have the gas seal cut into it .I have molded shotgun slugs before ...sorta.where to buy large quantitys of lube like 1 pound or more ? cheap?.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If I were still into casting I think I would look at the Lee molds for their tumble lube method...it's really very easy..A bit messy but it works very well....good luck which ever way you decid to go..john

·
Registered
147 Posts
I simply use LLA. Depending on the number of bullets I am using depends on the size of the plastic tub. I have a really small one that I use for 10 or 20 bullets. I use a plastic half gallon icecream tub for say around 50. If I am lubing more than that I stole one of my wifes larger plastic bowls. Well didn't steal exactly as I replaced it. Just aquired it in the time of need.:)
One thing some don't like about the LLA is it seems to be a little tacky. Lee says to put the bullets up to dry for about 24 hours. Doesn't mean you can't leave them set longer. And they are less tacky after 2 or 3 days.
Lube then size. But remember to re-lube again after sizing.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Go with the Lee Alox... it's simple. Also you may want to try shooting them UN-sized...
A plastic Cool whip container, about 10 drops of LLA and 25 bullets should work. (perhaps 10 may be too much.) depending what mold your using.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.