Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished running an egg sinker through my SBH barrel. It is smooth through the middle and a little tight on both ends. I don't have an accurate caliper but compared to a .430 Hornady or .4295 Sierra it is real close or just under that. The chamber throats seem to be consistant and just a bit larger.

I guess a fire lapping job is in my future to smooth out those restrictions at the beginning and end and an order to Marshall for those .432 bullets that he already knew I needed.

I feel acomplished even though you experienced guys usually already know the outcome. Sure builds your confidence to have such a knowledgable  group to rely on.

Thanks

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Chief RID,

Sure sounds like you're "off and running". While a good measuring device is important, as you've already found, it's pretty easy to feel the constrictions when you slug the barrel.  And you'll also be able to tell as they disappear. I've lapped four of my SBH's and each one resulted in improved accuracy. And I like improved accuracy as well as the next guy, but the improvement that I like even better is the reduction in leading.  I appreciate the various causes of leading, but even when monitoring those issues, I still had problems with leading. With the fire lapping, I seldom get leading that a couple of passes from the brass brush wouldn't handle. And if I do, it's still much easier to address than before. Sooooooo, wish you well and think you'll continue to be pleased.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts