• 7.62x39 is louder at a distance

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • both are eqaully loud at a distance

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Odd question. They sound completely different. Being I own both, I can tell you this. Both have 16" barrels. The AK has more of a boom, the AR is more of a crack. As as far as ear ringing sound, the M4 is worse due to the flash hider, working like a muzzlebrake directing sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Odd question. They sound completely different. Being I own both, I can tell you this. Both have 16" barrels. The AK has more of a boom, the AR is more of a crack. As as far as ear ringing sound, the M4 is worse due to the flash hider, working like a muzzlebrake directing sound.
Which would sound louder at a distance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At a long distance, the sharper crack dies down, and can sound just like a .22 LR. All this is strictly my opinion though. Take it for what its worth.
Not saying your wrong its just that I was told that the sharp crack of the 5.56 is perceived as louder at a distance because its faster in muzzle velocity.

But different people say different things on this matter.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Another example, is my 7mm Rem Mag vs my .338 Win Mag. Bother SS Ruger M77's with 24" barrels. The deeper roar of the .338 seems to sound much louder, than the zippy crack of the 7 mag.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Over the years I have been shot at with a number of different weapons but the AK and SKS has the most distinctive sound as it goes past your ear. It sounds like two pine boards being slapped together. The thump is the same as most anything else. Another weapon that has a distinctive sound is the MAT-49 SMG as does the PPSH. Both are different. The M1, M14, FN-FAL (SLR to you guys in the UK) all sound the same. There is a lot of mechnical noise to the G-3. What an interesting question.

We learned to line up the crack with the thump to find the direction of the shooter. The relative distance can be estimated by the difference in time between the two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Over the years I have been shot at with a number of different weapons but the AK and SKS has the most distinctive sound as it goes past your ear. It sounds like two pine boards being slapped together. The thump is the same as most anything else. Another weapon that has a distinctive sound is the MAT-49 SMG as does the PPSH. Both are different. The M1, M14, FN-FAL (SLR to you guys in the UK) all sound the same. There is a lot of mechnical noise to the G-3. What an interesting question.

We learned to line up the crack with the thump to find the direction of the shooter. The relative distance can be estimated by the difference in time between the two.
Any M16s or M4s?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The M4 is louder inside a enclosed room over an AK.

CD

·
Banned
415 Posts

Uh huh. They sure sound different when they're pointed in your direction, eh?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Based on my experience, both CONUS and abroad, I think the M-4/M-16 is louder up close in semi mode. For bursts and especially in full auto (M16A1), I think the AK is louder. It thunders when it gets to rolling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Based on my experience, both CONUS and abroad, I think the M-4/M-16 is louder up close in semi mode. For bursts and especially in full auto (M16A1), I think the AK is louder. It thunders when it gets to rolling.
I heard a M249 SAW is even louder due to the higher fire rate. Ever fire a SAW?

However I heard the AK may sound louder in full auto because its really just a trick of the ear thing when compared to the full auto M16 with the higher fire rate. Something with how the rate of fire sounds rather than actual dB but I'm not sure on that one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts