Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have swapped the barrels on several Savage type rifles, adjusting to a headspace go, no-go gages and all(had barrels turned to match boltface clearance specs Marlin XL7's).
I know where I can get an factory original new barrel in a rarer caliber for a rifle I have. With the amount of experience I have do you think I am ready to do a screw into the reciever swap?
I assume it's similar, except you screw the barrel into the reciever 'till it head-spaces. probabaly alot harder to turn and also the feel of tightness on the gage.
(assuming I have the right tools-if my action wrench fits, Go-no go gages, I would have to get a barrel Vice.)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Depending on the action you probably need a lathe or a short chambered barrel and a pull through finish reamer to properly headspace the barrel. If your not planning on doing several then a gunsmith would be less costly. The Savages and Marlins are a piece of cake compared to the others.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
Yes, more complicated than a Savage if there is no barrel nut. It might be spot on and it might not. At a minimum, you'd need a headspace gage to know if you have more work to do.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that you mention it, tightening might distort the already cut chamber, so a finish reamer would be needed. that would make the cost more than having it done.
Good points!
Thanks
Sav

1 - 4 of 4 Posts