Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used my new lead pot last night for the first time. I had melted the WW's on a camp stove, fluxed it, and poured ingots. On Monday I poured some bullets using the camp stove and a dipper. It was okay but I managed to slop lead all around the workbench, mostly out of the dipper when changing from one cavity to the other. Last night using the Lee pot there was no lead spilled on the bench and I could fill the mould twice as fast as with the dipper. For someone on a budget (I have a boat, a Corvette, and a wife to support), the Lee pot is a good way to go for about $50 w/shipping. The only drawback I could find was that it only holds 10 pounds of lead. By the time the mould was at the perfect temp and I was really cranking them out, I had to stop and add more ingots to the pot. I guess to keep pouring I could have fired up the camp stove and had the lead hot before adding it to the Lee pot. I'm looking forward to using it to make some sinkers next week.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Carrol

My only real"complaint with the Lee pot is that after quite a bit of use it will seem to not get as hot as it used to. If after awhile you seem to have to run it hotter to get the same temperature on your melt, remove the top and disconect the bayonet conectors on the rheostat. Do this several times and put it back together. It just builds up a little resistance on the connectors over time. I have two of these pots and they have lasted a very long time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
casting

CARROL I CAST ALOT OF BULLETS FOR ME AND SOME FRIENDS YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK EXCEPT FOR ONE THING DON'T LET YOUR POT RUN OUT OF LEAD MAKE ABUNCH OF INGOTS UP IN ADVANCE AND ADD ONE WHEN YOUR POT HAS ROOM FOR IT IF YOU ARE USING A LEE INGOT MOLD DON'T FILL IT ALL THE WAY UP MAKE 2 ONE POUNDERS AND 2 1/2 POUNDERS MAKE UP ALL THAT YOU CAN AND FLUX WITH BEES WAX A PIECE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A PEA IT'S WORKS GOOD BUT IS SMOKIE AND GET A THERMOMETER AND KEEP YOUR LEAD BETWEEN 650 AND 700 DEGREES ALSO DIP THE CORNER OF YOUR MOLD IN THE LEAD TO HEAT IT UP DON'T LET ANY WATER COME IN CONTACT WITH YOUR LEAD THIS CAN HURT ALOT BE CAREFUL THINK SAFETY AND HAVE FUN DOING IT :D :D

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Carrol B,
As Forest said, don't run the pot out of lead and then add it. Just drop a pound in at a time when there is room for it. If you use a casting thermometer while doing this, you will be able to see how much adding in a lb of metal affects your temperature. If the temperature variance is not too great, you can set the pot a little hotter than you would normally have it to keep it in a good range for casting once the lead has been added in. Another tip is to put your sprue metal back in the pot right away, I don't let it build up, put it back in while the next batch of bullets is cooling in the mould. You can also "pre-heat" your ingots by putting them on the edge of the pot, but be carefull not to jar them into the lead and make it splash on yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts