Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been involved in reloading and shooting for over 25 years. It was always with great anticipation that I would drive to the nearby national park range to spend the afternoon trying to shoot one hole groups. Its the greatest hobby in the world.

There have always been "crazies" at the range who made me nervous, but I generally avoided them by shooting during the week while others were at work and had the range pretty much to myself. But now with the huge number of folks not working with nothing to do, they're now showing up during the week.

More and more folks at the range have an extreme interest in semi-automatics and tactical gear etc. The ex-military/police folks are fine but many others blast away as if its video game. I'm very uncomfortable with their careless weapons handling and aggressive "tactical" attitude.

Compounding this are new arrivals with no English language skills. Its unclear if they can even legally process firearms. They obviously have no firearm experience and no concept of range safety or etiquette. I have nothing against anybody, but when you can't "read" the situation or communicate and everybody has a gun, you get uncomfortable. This situation has accelerated dramatically in the last few years.

Every time I go to the range I can't enjoy myself until I pick up the debris and trash left behind by others. I refuse to shoot in a trash dump. I have to spend 20 minutes cleaning up before I even set up and continue during my trips to the target. I've even done this while others are waiting to shoot and not one person has ever jumped in to help or even bothered to haul some trash back after setting up targets.

Its a shame when your favorite hobby puts you in uncomfortable situations or makes you a doormat for lazy worthless people. I know I sometimes have to deal with things I don't like, but a hobby is all about feeling good and enjoying yourself. I used to enjoy pondering new purchases but I'm now reluctant to buy any new rifles or equipment because I may end up not going to the range anymore if things continue.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Maybe join a club? Yes, you will have to pay membership, et cetera. But that beats going to a place that is often populated by idiots with guns. What's going to happen is that some bozo is going to shoot another bozo (possibly with tragic results), and your range will be closed-down for "safety reasons." The gun-haters will, of course, rejoice.

Something like that happened here, about a year or so ago. Some bonehead fired east from the desert, toward the highway and toward a circular, dirt-racing track. Some kids were on the track, riding their dirt bikes. One kid was hit in the wrist by a bullet. That close! A little closer and things would have been tragically different. The local government shortly thereafter closed-down to recreational use of firearms those several thousand free & open acres west of the highway. I have shot out there. It's just three miles from my house and very easy to access. Closed now, because of one thick-headed alpha-hotel who didn't think far enough ahead to consider that the highway is that direction. Don't shoot that way, fool. But he did, and now we've lost fabulous shootin' land out that way. Some people deserve Fleet's Punishment for being so stupid...

·
Registered
547 Posts
What's with the quitting posts? One in the hunting stories section and now this one. What gives? This story has a similar tone to the hunting one. Even the titles are similar. Why new posters coming here to announce they are quitting? Inquiring minds want to know.
Confirmed. I'm one of those inquiring minds.

Reactions: travelr47

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been registered for years and have had no real inclination to post. I did notice a similar posting title in hunting (completely different context) and it got me thinking. I've been really bothered by this years range experiences and wanted to get them off my chest. Didn't mean to bum anyone out. I'm not giving up on shooting and reloading - just the human race.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have seen many of the same things happening around me. Many of the informal shooting places are now closed. One place looked like a seen from a world war I movie every tree, bush etc. was shot to pieces. Safety at this location had gotten so bad few of the people I used to shoot with would go there. It was closed and likely the right thing to do.

I found an old ranch that had a small range on it and I made deal with the own to use it. It was great for a while but that owner is gone now.

I enjoy shooting to much to quit so off to my local public ranges. There are a few clubs and that might work.

Best wishes on finding a good place to shoot.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Venting help you feel better?

Holding yourself to high standards is fine, I do too. When you expect other's to have the same standards, it's not going to end well. Yes things have taken a turn for the worse, not just in the shooting world. Say your serenity prayer and move on. As dear Abby said "nobody can make a doormat out of you unless you lay down first. I hope you choose to keep up the good fight, maybe someone may notice & follow your lead. We need more good influences/models/ examples, not less.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are a VET. check into the VFW or Am. Legion posts. Some may have member ranges. I know they hold well organized Turkey Card Shoots.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What's with the quitting posts? One in the hunting stories section and now this one. What gives? This story has a similar tone to the hunting one. Even the titles are similar. Why new posters coming here to announce they are quitting? Inquiring minds want to know.
Evidently Lent is now observed at this time of year.
So....what are you giving up ??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Join a club or find a new place to shoot. Don't let the new people bother you are cancel your enjoyment. I'm sure there is lots of land round for you to make your own range on.:)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Like the others said, you have to find a private club or range to shoot on. The public ones are largely ruined. Around here, they are full of IWAW (Idiots With Automatic Weapons). People who by and large don't have the training or responsibility required to handle such weapons safely around others. It's dangerous to be around them and they usually don't want to listen to you if you try to impart even the most basic safety wisdom on them. Sadly, the serious black rifle crowd (folks that have respect and do it right) either won't or just don't get involved and teach these maniacs any range respect and safety.

·
Premium Member
15,482 Posts
The obvious move in the popular press to 'sniper/tactical/firepower' subjects made me quit buying gun magazines 30 years ago. It's gotten much worse and the public shooting places show it. Of course we all know there's a war coming let's just try to keep the idiots on our side in case they're needed.
I've had my own range at home for the last 45 years and there are some people I allow to use it if they call first. Even with friends I have trouble keeping the targets from blowing into the sage brush and scraps of blown up cans policed up.

Here's a suggestion--- Make contact with a local Deputy Sheriff and tell him you're a serious shooter and need a place to shoot. They'll know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like the original poster, I and two of my friends find ourselves policing up brass, picking up targets left crumpled on the ground, etc. AND WE BELONG TO A CLUB. There are 500-600 members and it falls to three old retired guys to clean up their mess. We haul off several large trash bags every week. Wonder what will happen when we are no longer able to clean up after the slobs.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Sadly this seems to happen all over. When the black rifle bam! bam! bam! bam! crowd hits the Grand Junction, Co. public rifle range serious shooters pack up and leave. Very little skills practice, very little aiming - mostly impressing reluctant girls who soon after the first few shots turn around with loaded weapons asking questions, finger on the trigger. There ARE sane people that are NOT adult enough to own firearms and were never educated by their parents.

·
Premium Member
15,482 Posts
I'm in a predominantly LDS (Morman) area and that very likely has something to do with how the 'public' ranges look. Old gravel pits are the ranges and there are four of them between here and 'town'. Twice, I've seen groups of youngsters there throwing trash in a big trailer. I ask one of my helper kids what it was about and he says it's the local Ward clean-up details that rake yards, mow grass and police up trash where ever they find it. It's run by the church and includes the Boy Scouts, 4H and other outfits.

The rattle addicts shoot on a BLM range on the Snake River north of Burley. I've never been up there but they have Class III shoots with Tannerite and it seem to keep the gravel pits open for real shooters. I assume the local Bureau of Land Managment keeps their range clean.
Two of the gravel pits even have 'benches' and 250 yards is available at one of them. I've offered my range to my doctor who hunts world wide but he's only been once. It's too far. The gravel pits are closer to him.

·
Registered
11,931 Posts
I generally shoot early mornings on weekdays. Think everywhere has their share of idiots. I've meet more good people while shooting rather than the other type.

The trash others leave behind is a pet peeve. Very often I haul a pickup load back, along with participating on range clean up days.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The only range left open within a reasonable distance from my house deals with the whole Tacticool, Black Rifle craze by mandating NO rapid fire and NO loaded magazines in semi auto rifles.. My only issue is being packed in like sardines, you can feel the muzzle blast from the next bench over.. Otherwise the range is well kept and people are respectful and polite and clean up after themselves... On the plus side, the younger guys who don't reload leave behind their brass for those of us that do...

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Have my own pistol range in the backyard and were I do my tactical black rifle drills. Guess I'm spoiled by military ranges where its always cleaned up after we shoot. And if we literally blow it up, bring a bulldozer in.

CD

1 - 20 of 41 Posts