Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ask a question. It seems no ammo companies make 1 1/4 oz. 16 gauge ammo anymore. Does anybody know of a company that loads a 1 1/4 oz. load now?

·
Registered
715 Posts
HEVI-shot makes a 1 1/4 oz waterfowl load for the 16. That's all there is I believe.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was going to check RST for you, if you haven't but, they're currently closed to catch up on orders, so their web site says. I thought they offered 1 1/4 oz. 16 bore loads. If you have the components and reload, there should be several recipes available. I believe my cheapy Lee Load all lists some.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have reloaded and shot this load in my two 16ga guns since 1987...
• Ithaca® LeFever® Nitro Special™ 16ga SxS, 28" barrels choked Mod & Full; circa 1921
• Browning® Auto-5 Sweet-Sixteen™ 16ga, 28" barrel Invector® chokes; circa 1988

I loaded it w/ 1¼oz #6 Pb for Turkey, 1¼oz #4 & 5 Pb for Ducks, and 1¼oz #2 Pb for Geese. Put the 12ga guys to shame I tell ya!

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody. I don't load any shot shells, just pistol and rifle ammo. I may have to start someday. I'll look around and maybe find some. The Prairie Storm ammo used to be available in 16 gauge 1 1/4 oz.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What about Rio? I haven't looked for them and don't know if they're still in business. Cheddite?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
According to some places I looked, Federal makes a Premium and a Wingshok load in 1 1/4. Now the question is going to be finding it. Everywhere I looked for it was Backorder only. Some just list out of stock.

Good luck.

EDITED - According to Midway, the Federal Premium has been discontinued. Sorry.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at the Prairie Storm on a website. Don't remember whos but, it was out of stock too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there anybody that makes a simple reload device like a Lee Load All or something that can go in a regular single stage press to reload 16 gauge? I remember seeing a die set once that could be used in a single stage press.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ballistic products has a 16 ga lee load all in stock for $75. If I were you I would order it now.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I remember when I was a young lad, my father tried to talk me in to a 16 gauge, because "that's all you need". This was back when the 16 gauge had some popularity and magnum-itis hadn't yet set in. His father, my grandfather had a Winchester model 97 in 16 gauge.

I'm glad I didn't listen to him. The variety of shot shells you can get for a 12 gauge from 7/8 oz to 2 1/2 oz is astounding. I used to load 1 1/2 oz of # 5's for pheasant hunting. Way over kill but I thought it was cool that I could make my own like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I remember when I was a young lad, my father tried to talk me in to a 16 gauge, because "that's all you need". This was back when the 16 gauge had some popularity and magnum-itis hadn't yet set in. His father, my grandfather had a Winchester model 97 in 16 gauge.

I'm glad I didn't listen to him. The variety of shot shells you can get for a 12 gauge from 7/8 oz to 2 1/2 oz is astounding. I used to load 1 1/2 oz of # 5's for pheasant hunting. Way over kill but I thought it was cool that I could make my own like that.
I have a Model 97 in 16 gauge and I love that gun. I still can find target and game loads for it fairly easily at Walmart. Federal and Winchester still load 16 gauge in 6, 7.5, and 8 shot. I have hundreds of rounds of 16 in a big 50 cal ammo can. That gun is a blast to shoot.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

I loaded 1 1/2 oz. loads for years in Winchester AA, Remington RXP, and the old Peters Blue Magic hulls. There were people I knew who did not think they were safe because my hulls were "Low Brass"...lol. They were deadly for ducks over decoys out past 60 yards and jump shooting ducks off of stock tanks with a more open choke. I miss those days. Steel shot killed my duck and goose hunting for the most part.

Is there anybody that makes a simple reload device like a Lee Load All or something that can go in a regular single stage press to reload 16 gauge? I remember seeing a die set once that could be used in a single stage press.

Ballistic products has a 16 ga lee load all in stock for $75. If I were you I would order it now.
I got my SIL a Lee Load all to try his hand at reloading (12 gauge). They make a pretty reload and are quite affordable. I loaded a few hundred shells with it setting it up, and although you could tell that it was fairly cheaply made, I was impressed based on what I paid for it. They make a 16 gauge so that may be the way to go.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I loaded 1 1/2 oz. loads for years in Winchester AA, Remington RXP, and the old Peters Blue Magic hulls. There were people I knew who did not think they were safe because my hulls were "Low Brass"...lol. They were deadly for ducks over decoys out past 60 yards and jump shooting ducks off of stock tanks with a more open choke. I miss those days. Steel shot killed my duck and goose hunting for the most part.
The manufacturers may tell you differently, but I find the high brass offered no benefit other than to identify them as a non target load. It's was fun while working at the gun club, once and a great while I would sneak one of my hunting reloads into a shooters pouch.

Better still was throwing cast aluminum "clay" targets at night. If they were hit well, they would ring like a bell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts