Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently do not have a 1911 pistol. My ex-wife wound up with my Kimber. Anyway I am throwing around a few ideas for my next pistol. I have always wanted one of those GI style 1911's. Only thing is I don’t like those sights. I would also like to get a "target quality" 1911. Would I be better off just saving up a bunch of money and buying a high quality or custom made 1911 or would I be better off purchasing a good base pistol and adding match quality parts? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
786 Posts
Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 Mil Spec .45 $385.00 SHIPS FREE I don't see how it is possible to beat this deal. Get some day-glo green paint for the front sight and call it good. You can spend a lot more money, but not get any more gun for it. For the price you can buy two and still be money up on the average mall ninja 1911. They accept all standard 1911 after market parts. This is as close to the original A1 as you're gonna get without spending a lot more dinero.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Griz is right on with the RIA being the best bang for the buck, or if you dont mind spending the money Colt series 70 makes a great out of the box pistol and has nice blocky sights and would make a great base pistol for a custom bulid, but it does cost almost three times as much as the RIA.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you can catch them in stock, I've heard really good things about the American Classic target and American Classic II. They have a classic II at Bud's right now. Good reviews everywhere I've looked. If you aren't stuck on a 1911 might take a look at the EAA Tanfoglio Match .45. I bought one earlier this year and love it and it comes with the FAA approved case with combo lock. ;)

Bersa 8 + 1 Round 45ACP Single Action American Classic w/Blu $428.00 SHIPS FREE

European American Armory 10 + 1 Round Two Tone 45ACP w/Fully $513.00 SHIPS FREE

Mine:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 Mil Spec .45 $385.00 SHIPS FREE I don't see how it is possible to beat this deal. Get some day-glo green paint for the front sight and call it good. You can spend a lot more money, but not get any more gun for it. For the price you can buy two and still be money up on the average mall ninja 1911. They accept all standard 1911 after market parts. This is as close to the original A1 as you're gonna get without spending a lot more dinero.

I think I'm gonna jump all over that! Is it expensive to have a gunsmith remove the front sight and cut a dove tail? I think I would like to go with an aftermarket sight. But Ill give it a try first and see if I like it. Next pay check I'm getting one.

Anybody know if they are picky about ammo? I have been told from many people that these GI 1911's can be real picky about ammo and may not be able to shoot JHP. Not that it’s that big of a deal as I will probably only shoot my reloads out of it. However I have read that these GI pistols can chew up brass which is a concern of mine, but for 385 I don’t think I can pass it up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Any feed issues if you have any can be fixed by a good gunsmith, not that you necessarily will have any.
The accuracy on the RIA is what you would expect from a GI model but can also be bettered by a match grade barell. You should be quite happy with it.

·
Registered
381 Posts

If you get the 1911 before you do anything sit down and take a little while and polish the ramp to a good shine,and it won't ever have problems eating whatever you feed it..............

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll echo the praise of the RIA. I have two - a 5" and a 4" and have had both customized. The two most significant improvements on the 5" was a fiber optic front sight with a two-dot rear (my eyes just don't like the mil-spec sights) and a national match bushing. I'm getting 2" groups off of sand bags at 25 yards (post modification). The 4" now has tritium 3-dot night sights. I've had other things done too, but those were the most significant. Oh, one more thing - change the recoil spring to a heavier Wolfe. I stepped up to the next level (from 16# to 18.5# or from 18.5# to 20# - I can't remember which).

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
Get the RIA and you can have work done as you can afford it. Unless the shop you use has package deals, there is nothing to make you do it all at once.

I like the late George Nonte's notion of segregating gunsmithing into practical and mechanical improvements. The practical is what helps the shooter operate the gun better. Mechanical work is what makes the gun more reliable or precise. The practical work includes sights, trigger work, beavertail safeties, ambidextrous thumb safeties, checkering, custom grip panels, etc. The mechanical stuff would be a reliability package with internal surface polishing, timing corrections, extractor tension adjustment, etcetera, or an accuracy job with slide and barrel and bushing fitting.

I recommend you break the gun in before you do anything to it. Get about 200 rounds of hardball through it before you start to judge its feed and operating reliability. Get another 300 rounds through it before you decide if you can rely on it for self-defense. If it is not reliable, then a mechanical reliability package should be the first work. If it's already reliable, go for the practical changes first. That's because, if you aren't operating the gun at your best, then you won't know if it really needs accuracy work or not.

I learned to build 1911's into match guns a lot of years ago. In all that time I never found any drop-in trigger jobs or grip safeties or barrels that worked as well as hand fitting work does. The drop-ins can be better than issue parts, and I don't mean to run them down. My point is just to caution you that they become an added expense if you find them unsatisfactory and have to go to the gunsmith to get them altered or replaced with hand fit parts later. That can happen.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,290 Posts
+1 on the RIA. I love mine.
I really liked my EAA Witness as well, but had poor QC to the hardening of the slide. I only got about 500 round through it and the slide had begun to be peened from the rails in the receiver. Almost like the slide "chattered" along them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have the other Phillipine made gun, the American Classic. The manufacturer is metro arms and as near as I can tell it's the duplicate of the RIA. Mine feeds HPs and semi-wadcutters and ball ammo perfectly. I totally agree that the sights are diminutive, but that's a good thing too in a way; totally unobtrusive and impossible to damage, like a good battle gun should be. Put a few hundred thru it and then you'll know what you need. Also, I would at least put the gun on layaway because the stock of available mil-spec guns seems to fluctuate wildly. Best Grizz

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Zapzoo,

Take a look at the Springfield Armory Range Officer. It might be what your looking for.

Springfield Armory

CD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts