Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .444 Marlin Outfitter P, with ghost ring sights that I need a load for. I have some BTB 325 LCMBGC bullets I bought years ago and would like to use them. I have been using 265g Hdy Interlock FP's over 45.7g Hodgden 4198. It's a great load, but the exit on my last deer was 6.5". It's a great bear load, but too much for deer. Read Marshall's text on meplats creating wound channels on both sides with a mv of 1100 FPS and think that's the ticket. This is basically a woods rifle used from a treestand. It's a nice, light gun.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't finished the series of articles on the .444 Marlin. One of those upcoming articles is reduced loads in the .444, with LOTS of data we have developed over the years.

For a couple tried and proven loads with your BTB .44-325gLMNGC bullet, try the following loads using the COL listed in our articles for this bullet, and crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

For your .444 Marlin:

BTB .44-325g LCMNGC / 15.0g Unique / WLRP / Remington Brass

BTB .44 325g LCMNGC / 28.0 g Alliant 2400 /WLRP/ Remington Brass

This will give you a couple of mild recoiling, relatively quiet, and extremely lethal loads for your .444 that won't loosen your dental work, pulverize your shoulder or blind you with muzzle flash!

Enjoy! Let us know how they work out for you. Even though these look like "Cat Sneeze" type loads, don't let the paper ballistics fool you. They kill all out of proportion to their calculated potential.

God bless, and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall, thanks so much for replying to my post. Of the two powders you suggest, if you only had to pick one which would it be? I have read your Marlin Articles and much more. Those articles guided me on the selection of the .444 Marlin. I have the Technical Manual and intend to lap my rifle this winter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
This will give you a couple of mild recoiling, relatively quiet, and extremely lethal loads for your .444 that won't loosen your dental work, pulverize your shoulder or blind you with muzzle flash!
MS, just curious.

Have you worked with Trail Boss in .444 & .45/70 loads?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have worked with reduced loads in a few calibers, and of the two powders that Marshall mentioned, I have had better results with Unique. If you have the opportunity to try either of the above loads, please let us know the outcome.

Jeff

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am real happy with 44.4 grains of Reloader 7 @265 grain bullet. Mostly because i like the ring to it "44.4 for the 444" and it shoots!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How's it do in the deer killing department? Especially at close range. I blew half a back-strap outta my last deer at 25 yds and I don't wanna do that again. I held center mass, it hit 2" below the backbone in the same plain as the heart and lung "boiler room" shot, but I'd zeroed the Ghost Rings at 50 yards. So I was a "tad" high. If I held lower, it would have been better. But one thing I can tell your is that deer was dead before it hit the ground. Shame about the backstrap though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts