Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, who knows what this is? ....it appears to be a plastic or graphite bullet with three ridges in the end to form a sort of triangle.....

I havent confirmed by measurements but it appears to be in a .308 winchester, will confirm if I need to

also, I am new and cant figure how to insert a picture.....??? if you would, just email me so i can sent you a simple picture [email protected]

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Can't post a picture through the forum till you have been here a while. Stops some of the drive-by spamming.

However, you can use a host like PhotoBucket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hiya...

I have your answer. It is a 7.62 (.308), with a 62gr, copper-filled polymer "plastic" bullet at 2625 fps MV. It is designated the M973 for the US DoD. It is manufactured in Canada, and marketed by Simunition, as the "Short Stop". It is a "training round", but boasts minimal collateral and infrastructure damage in an urban combat scenario. Trajectory matches standard ammo out to about 100 yds, then quickly dies off. It is available belted, for belt-fed weapons as well as singles. It is also available in a tracer configuration (M974). It will not penetrate .25" steel, yet penetration tests in ballistic gel show about the same penetration as standard issue ball ammo. The projectiles are usually blue. Perhaps you have found an older one.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Schuter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts