Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just found out there is a gun show next week, here where i live, after reading the tread on the best deals people got on rifles im exited for this show is there anything i should keep my eye out for in this show ? i want to get a good deal on a bolt action 30-06 and im not sure exactly where to look ! and are pawnshops a good place to look too ?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I hope you find a great deal! Gun shows are not necessarily the best place to find a deal, but deals can surely be found there. Stay far away from any classic type rifles, or collectibles as most selling at a gun show think their "collectible" is a one of a kind (if it even is a collector piece). Best things to look for? OMHO it's the average rifle. Say something like a Remington m700 BDL in 30/06. Or maybe a Ruger M77 in .308 or 30/06. Those sellers know there are LOTS of these rifles around and they need to be competitive to sell them.

Older rifles can be bargains as well. Anything carrying an Honest to God FN (Fabrique Nationale) action is something to look at very closely. A Husqvarna? An Interarms MKX? BRNO rifle? Mauser M98 restocked and/or rebarreled? Off brand names like a Sears Ted Williams bolt rifle? (a M70 in disguise!), Even a plain Jane 1975 Winchester M70 with push feed and no one caring because it ain't a pre '64!!!!

I'd much rather find an older bolt rifle like any one of these and pay $300-$400 for it than have a new low level Remington, Savage, Mossberg, Stevens, etc. Some of these rifles would be $1000-$2000 today with the build quality they exhibit.

Look for these same guns at pawn shops too. Pawn shops should be hoppin' from November thru February with guys needing money for Xmas gifts thru tax time.:eek::eek:

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I found an Interarms Mark X 270 Winchester for $255 dollars today at a gun show. Other than a few marks on the stock, and some blueing missing on the floor plate. It is perfect. This is a keeper rifle.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
What Tnhunter mentioned is right on the mark. I've found some of the best deals can be found in those old military rifles that were sporterized after the wars. Quality of workmanship is unreal compared too todays loosely called specials, classics, exhibitation grade etc. Course most will be military chamberings i.e. 30-06, 308 or 8mm Mauser all good hunting calibers.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
That's an absolute STEAL on a M70 225 Winchester! Any chance he'd sell it to me, for a small profit? :)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I found an Interarms Mark X 270 Winchester for $255 dollars today at a gun show. Other than a few marks on the stock, and some blueing missing on the floor plate. It is perfect. This is a keeper rifle.
You Betcha!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
If you're not familiar with the military guns, I'd avoid them simply because you don't know who's uncle modified it or shot his super magnum reloads in it. With a modern production Rem, Ruger, Win, Savage, you can tell pretty easily whats been abused. Ask questions, if the seller has lots of "I don't know" answers, walk away. A good seller is honest and will help you out.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Right after he bought it, he stopped in to show it to me. He didn't know what he bought, and oddly enough, nobody else at the auction that day knew either. I told him to keep the auction receipt just in case someone questioned his truthfulness. He got lucky that day, for sure!
The man who taught me how to reload had a M70 in 225 Winchester...it was the rifle that first had me going :eek: when I saw how tight the groups were. His name was Will Harris and he was a friend of the family for many years. When his health took a turn for the worse I tried to talk him into selling me his Winchester, but he said he had promised it to one of his sons. My worst fears were realized when he passed away and within 3 months his "son" had sold it for meth. :mad:

Since then, I've seen exactly two of these rifles for sale and in both cases, the owner knew exactly what he had, so they were priced accordingly. Finding one for less than $1,000 is tough, so your buddy got the deal of the century, in my book.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just came back from cabelas i was looking in the used gun section and i saw a fn with a Mauser action, good stock for 399 it was a 270 they guy that was helping me was a older gentlemen and i like fell in love with the rifle it felt so good in my hands, but the guy said not to rush things and go check out the gun show and if he were me he would chose the savage edge over the fn what do you guys think ?

·
Registered
620 Posts
i just came back from cabelas i was looking in the used gun section and i saw a fn with a Mauser action, good stock for 399 it was a 270 they guy that was helping me was a older gentlemen and i like fell in love with the rifle it felt so good in my hands, but the guy said not to rush things and go check out the gun show and if he were me he would chose the savage edge over the fn what do you guys think ?
What do I think?.....I think you should have grabbed a bag of whatever he's smoking cause it must be some good stuff:p. Are there better rifles than the FN out there? Certainly, but the Savage Edge isn't one of 'em.

If it were me I would see if they'd budge on the price of that FN a bit, doesnt hurt to try. At $400 its not a steal so it might not hurt to keep your wallet in your pocket and see what else you can see at other places.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I think he talked you right out of the gun he bought and took home with him, that night! FN is making the Model 70, now and a true Mauser action in a great cartridge like the 270 Winchester is hard to beat. In fact, there are many experienced, old-timey riflemen out there who would answer your original question with this exact gun; a 270 on a Mauser action. It was the cartridge of choice for a guy named Jack O'Connor. If that name doesn't ring any bells, you should look up some of his writings...and I'm getting really freakin' old! :)

If you can go back and pick up that rifle for $400, you've got a great gun for a fair price.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i really want to buy that rifle ! but ima going be patient and wait till the gun show this weekend and see what i can find. is there any way i could like hagle with the people at cabelas and have them lower the price of the rifle ?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Get a Marlin "X" gun in the caliber of your choice [243, 708, 308, 25-06, 270, 30-06] and you'll never be sorry. $300 for a new rifle with expensive features and you will shoot groups as good as any $500-700 new rifle out there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are so many variables but there is one constant and that is there is not ONE perfect rifle or even one perfect caliber for everything. What is your intended purpose? Do you want to hunt and what kind of game? Some guys love AR15s and to them, that is the perfect rifle while others stick to bolt actions, etc.
Some guys love shooting from the bench and that is it. Decide what you want to do with this rifle and that will narrow down your choices. Like women, the best ones are expensive. Well, at least the purty ones are.....!

I will say this from my own experience, I get really tired, really fast with a rifle that is not really accurate! Only tackdrivers are fun. Guess I am just spoiled but sub MOA has become par. I won't keep a rifle if I cannot get consistent 5 shot groups well under MOA. If I miss something I don't blame the rifle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i have the rifle on hold for 5 days, im just waiting for the weekend to check out the guns at the show im really exited now if i can find a fn like the one at cabelas in 30-06 ! but if u do get the one at cabelas what id the 270 cartrige sutible for ? cause my friend was telling me that they 270 is only good up to medium sized deer

·
Registered
7,842 Posts

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
ugh (is that long enough to be considered a post?)

·
Banned
12 Posts
Good advice

Remington model 700 ,winchester model 70 stick with a name brand , and for pawn shops i bought a used 30 06 1 time from a stranger and the rifle could shoot around the corner , buy used if you know the person , i personally got burnt so i buy new now

1 - 20 of 30 Posts