Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about picking up a lever action lately and was at a local gun shop and saw a Winchester 1892 in 38-40. I gotta admit it felt pretty nice cradled in my arm. The but stock is a little loose and the reciever is close to bare or has little to no finish left. The outside of the barrel and tubular magazine look pretty good. Barrel looked dirty but I could see some rifling left.

I passed it up once for $595.00. But I do field service and as luck would have it, I have another stop with in walking distance... well on the same block as the shop. And I don't if I am strong enough to drive by there with out taking it with me.

I would like to shoot it rather than park it on the wall so I would have it checked out. At the mercy of The Shooters Forum should I hold out for something newer or should I tag it and bag it! I even have the cash with me which is rare. Its on consignment so the price is firm.

·
Banned
77 Posts
I shoot Cowboy Rifle Silhouette with a bunch of guys that love the old guns. Some of them shoot really old Winchester 92s in very poor condition. I have yet to see one of these old guns that isn't accurate and I don't mean just being able to hit the target. I mean, hit the target at any range as many times as they need to shoot at it. One guy who regularly beats me shoots a 32-20 that has a buldge about midway through the barrel. It is right on every time. If you have the cash, get it berfore someone else does.
Sixgun

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did pick up the Rifle and I can't wait to start loading for it. I have it cleaned up and been getting a lot of lead fowling out of the barrel. I am gonna try and get some pictures but I dont see a easy to load them.

I think I can load pictures. The rifle was made 1909.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I did pick up the Rifle and I can't wait to start loading for it. I have it cleaned up and been getting a lot of lead fowling out of the barrel. I am gonna try and get some pictures but I dont see a easy to load them.
Awesome rifle and caliber. It was the 10mm of it's day.

If you handload, get some Starline brass and be sure to flare the case mouth before seating the bullet.

·
Banned
421 Posts
That's a real nice 92! Just imagine all the history. I've never seen one used, but the day will come and I hope I have the coin when it does. I like the 94, but I think the 92 is the best looking lever ever made.
Congratulations, and let us know how she shoots.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, AU2183, I know what you mean. The stories it could tell. Hopefully I can add to them. I seem to have shyed away form antique rifles but this one grew on me right away. The next older ones I have are a Remington 1903 A3, It was sporterized with a Williams rear site. The last third of its bore is dark and its throat is so far out, 150 grain spitzers leave the case mouth before they touch the rifling. I did my best shooting at a deer with it. I hit him low in the chest and he took off. I hit him 4 out of 5 times and the last shot was in the neck at 317 paces.
The other is a Remington Model 81; It had to go to the gunsmith because it would occasionally shoot full auto!

But back to the Model 92; I did find some ammo using Starline brass, $ 33.00 for 50 cast flat nose. And $79.00 for 50 Winchester soft points. I suppose if it doesn't group well I'll have to take a close look at the crown and slug the bore.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Phil,

If it won't shoot well there are options for making it more functional, without losing the value of an antique. Send me a PM and I'll show you what I did with my grandpa's old Model '92 in 44/40.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh Oh Doing wierd things on paper

I had the 1892 out yesterday and saw it was tumbling bullets and not grouping well at 25 paces. I am new to old rifles and am not sure what can be done aside from sending it in. I have a box of 180 grain cast RFN ammo. I pulled one of the bullets and it measured .401 and there was a charge of 4.4 grains of a red and grey short cut powder.
The case necks expanded .005" and the fired cases fit tighter compared to a new unfired cartridge.
The bore is not pretty and has pitting but there is rifling. For giggles I set the bullet on the muzzle and at least it didn't drop in, I could push it to the lube grove with some or little effort.
I don't have dies yet and I'm not setup to cast bullets but I think there are oversized bulltes available if thats my problem.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,116 Posts
Have you given it a good scrubbing? Could be fouling in the grooves..... just a thought.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Scrubbing, yes the during Vikings/Bears game I was cleaning the bore with the JB Bore shine paste. I started out with a Shooters Choice and Kroil mix. I was getting grey colored patches and buy the end there wasn't so much fowling on them.

I tried a hotter load and it is shooting alot better. My gun shop was thinking that maybe that ammo was producing too low of a velocity. And they had a set of dies on hand. I pulled some of the bullets from the above box of ammo and reloaded them to a higher pressure with a slower burning powder. It is only one group so far but no tumbling bullets and predictable accuracy.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Man you made a steal at that price. I would not have passed that up either. I have two original Win 92s in 32-20, my grandfathers and my great grandfathers. I would love to have one in 38-40. One has very little bluing left and the other had been reblued buy my great uncle who was a gun smith. Both of them shoot well though. You now truelly have a piece of history in your hand. Good shooting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts