Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a surplus CZ 83 380 ACP a while back and thought I could improve on it. I'm not a 'smith just a tinkerer.
Here's the before and after...it is very accurate and fun to shoot.
Before...

After...

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Nice, whats the story on the grips? I brought back a CZ83 in .380 back from West Germany in 90'.

CD

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C D....
Truck bed paint, then I traced and made a pattern on thin cardstock of the outline of the "inset" part of the grip, transferred that to GT 5000 grip tape.
If I need to take the grips off, I can peel off the tape to get to the screws and either re-use it or cut new ones.
It was a bit tricky to get it just right to fit, but it was February, zero degrees and a nor'easter outside, so I had all kinds of time.
Schotzy

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
Have a somewhat grudging respect for the “other empire” guns of that era. Chunky, pretty simple, strong, seems like they’d run “forever”….pretty much the philosophy of the makers at that time.

That’s a real nice job of reconditioning one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gunbroker has the surplus 83's on their site. $$$

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Muy nice! How did you polish & refinish the slide?

And, nice job on the lettering, too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Found a neglected DBA380 Browning in a pawn shop, owner wanted it gone. Looked like it had been left in the glove compartment of a wrecked car. Insides were clean and the bluing was spotted and dull. Even shot well after cleaning.

A through cleaning, a trip to CCR for makeup, new Pachmayr grips and good to go shooting. The sights are small, but it has not failed to fire or feed. It has big brother High Power in 40 S&W, that I found in a police auction in Austin. It too was ridden hard and put up wet, but it has been restored and enhanced. Some pistols are good the first time around, others can be raised from neglect and provide years of service to the second owner.

Congratulations on saving a good firearm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Muy nice! How did you polish & refinish the slide?

And, nice job on the lettering, too!
The slide looked worse than it turned out to be. Very light pitting. I used a Forney 5" 1/2" arbor fine wire wheel [#72743] on a slow speed old wash machine motor 1600 RPM.
The finish is a very fine matte. I used Birchwood Casey Plum Brown barrel finish on the slide. The lettering was sharp so filling it worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts