Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took two weeks! I was not looking for an 1895 just now, I was wanting a .45 Colt, and was looking hard at the Win High Grade online, and I found, locally, a 20" octagonal barreled .45 Colt Marlin, and asked to hold it, and was disapointed in the balance - too front heavy. I was still trying to find a High Grade locally, to hold and see how that was, and the closest sportsman's store had a .444 and an 1895. I didn't want the .444 though I looked at it anyway, before I knew there was an 1895 there also. Then, after being shown, I asked to hold the 45-70, and what a nice feel to it! Like it waited there for me to ask. I thought the price was a bit high, but I intended to have it, one way or another. It is last years model, and this weekend I found that the price had dropped a fairly substantial amount, so, yesterday, I went back, and came out with a NIB 2002 model 1895, a box of ammo to bruise my shoulder with, and a hunting license - all for a little less than what I was possibly willing to pay for the rifle, putting it on layaway or some other wheel and deal!

And thus I ramble - one would think I met and asked the Prom Queen for a date!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,949 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition, Mike -

You won't be disappointed. The 1895 should be a great woods rifle for you there in SE Penn.

You'll find it's extremely easy to reload for and your hand rolled will beat the factory stuff in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Now I am in a similar "boat" as NewPigHunter, finding a sight system that I like if the factory sights aren't all they can be for me. I like peeps - I've used them, and I like the idea that if I want to use a peep and scope, there are the scout mounts.

These factory sights don't look half bad, but I guess the telling will be in the application, right? It's going to be a few weeks before I can take it out, so, also like NPH, I can at least admire it up close. I am impressed. My opinion being based on a Marlin 30-30 I had back in the '80s, I was not sure if I would like this rifle, but it already seems to balance different. Should have kept that 30-30, I could probably have changed the center of balance for the better had I been patient.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Factory sights on Marlins are terrible, as far as I can tell.... can't see anything past the huge rear buckhorn!

My .35 came without a rear sight, and frankly I didn't know how lucky that was till I got an 1894 'cowboy' with the huge ugly rear sight! Put a Williams on the 35, looking for another for the 1894.

If it's drilled/tapped on the side, then you can do a Williams or other 'side-mount' peeps. With one of these, and some creativity, you may still be able to scope it (if that's important).

Ashley and I think some other people have a 'top-mount' peep that uses the scope base holes. I've not used the Ashley rear but it looks like a heck of a sturdy peep. Not all of the new Marlins are drilled/tapped on the side, like they used to be. Probably saved Marlin 50 cents a gun to eliminate that....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Guys - I've got an 1895G with the Ashley peep sights and the Scout scope mounts and I'm very pleased with them! The Marlin factory sights are better than no sights but not by much! The AO's are very tough and easy to adjust. The scout mount makes it easy to mount and remove the scope when its not needed. nfmMike if I may make a suggestion, consider putting on a DRC Glove lever, it makes the rifle easy to handle with gloves on and you don't get your fingers cut by the lever when touching off some of the more potent loads available for the 45-70. CEJ..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh? The curved lever is the one that smacks fingers, I remember now. Well, I will have to see what it does, but thanks for the reminder. What is the model of the scout mount CEJ1895? And I am already leaning toward the AO, as much from what I read as what folks have to say about them. We'll see, if it is easier than Williams to sight in, that may be the one. Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
nfmMike - I'm sorry, I don't have my catalog with me but if you go to the Brownells website you will see it there. I also use the Warne QD matte finished low rings to mount the Leupold Scout scope to the scout base. They're a little slimmer than the Leupold rings and just look better to me on the rifle. By the way if you go with the AO peep sights, order the smaller insert too, makes it easier to sight in and it swaps out easy enough for the larger insert. CEJ...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I put a 5d on the 336 that I bought and just love it. the balance on the ol' 35 Rem RC is just perfect, and with this site I am onthe money as soon as I pull the rifle up.
I put a fire site on the guide as the front site was too high when I bought the rifle this spring.

It works good but for target shooting it is too big to shoot. The rear buckhorn does not have enough ajustment to tune the rifle for the load shot, and to hold for the six oclock hold. Out in the bush ,I am sure it will matter to the deer or bear what hold I use being more concerned with the 45 cal hole through the lungs.
I will put the 5d site on the guide gun too as funds come buy.
The big ashley sites to me look big and I rather have a smaller front site than what I got now.

I think the finer the site , the finer the adjustments. Works for my bolt action.

Now that squared lever has a habit of biting the middle finger with heavy loads. I got the wife to wrap some 1/4" leather around the lever just behind the trigger. No more busted finger.

Just my .02 cents
Harry;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the idea of wrapping the front, or 2/3 of the lever with leather, rather than installing a larger loop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts