Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went carousing the other day, and stopped at two local sports dealers, and at the first one, looked and looked, and finally asked to hold a Marlin w/20" octagon barrel in .45 Colt. I have desired one like this for some months now. Finally got enough courage to hold one.

Yuck! I just did not like the nose heavy feeling, and the sideways looseness of the lever. Looked real nice, but that decieved me.

So I left that store, and stopped at another a bit later, and was looking at the lever guns, and saw a .444 Marlin - had a custom stock - Winchester looking fore end, and monte carlo butt. With scope, nice, but I am sticking to .45 caliber, even if my first choice turned out to be a turkey (for me). Kept looking, there was a Marlin in 35 Rem, a Glenfield, and another 30-30. Then the owner handed me a Marlin from a couple of rows over. It was an 1895.

Now I'm gonna die! That is one sweetly balanced rifle. And it is new. Like I said, now I am gonna die. Gotta have it.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,952 Posts
Yup - them 1895's are nice.

You didn't mention what caliber the '95 was in - still .45LC?

Mine is a 1895LTD1, in 45-70, of course. Kicks like a mule, but puts the 350 gr Hornady RN's in a tight group 3" hi at 100 yds. This is the one with straight grip, no checkering and a 24"bbl that's half round/half octagon.

Understand there are aftermarket kits that not only take the wiggle out of the Marlin levers, but also ones that replace the factory trigger, extractor, etc. No more shooting than I do with the full power hunting loads, the factory stuff suits me.

·
Registered
516 Posts
nfmMike - Yup, you've been bit, and are probably infected - congratulations! I'm extremely happy with my Marlin 1895G, of course it's not the .45 Colt that you want, but it nevertheless cured my infection. I've had one of the aftermarket triggers that kdub refers to (Wild West Guns "Happy Trigger") installed on it and am even happier. No more trigger flip flop, and a nice 2lb. 10 oz. break. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
A suggestion

Check out the Rossi Mod 92 in 45 Colt. The Marlins have always looked and felt gritty to me, so when I saw the Rossi I plunked down the money and have enjoyed the rifle ever since. No wiggle, wobble or grit, just smooth and slick.
It's fun to load up a bucket full of 300 grain Saecos with 20 grains of H110 to shoot at 100 yards. There is a definate time lag between the rifle going off and the loud thwack when the bullet hits the target.
Shooting steel targets is even more fun.
Jim

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1895 is the 45-70, pistol grip 20" round barrel. This is the caliber that I first thought I wanted, but managed over time to scale down to .45 LC with the intention of learning reloading on a straight wall cartridge. I have a Lee PRO 1000 that was a perfect find - literaly. So I was set in my mind.

All that came to a crashing halt the other day - not to disparage at all the Rossi/Legacy Arms .45 (it's even got the curved butt stock I like), but when I felt the balance of the 1895, I realized I was doing too much planning and not enough "hands on" looking. I still want the .45 Colt rifle. I like the look of one of the Legacy models, and I like the look of Winchester's High Grade, but I will have the Marlin 45-70 first I believe.

What a revelation when preconcieved notions are shattered!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I must say the 1895's are nice, I bought a Marlin 450 guidegun when they first came out,this is ported...Boy I love this thumper,a 45 on steroids LOL, I have taken a blackbear/German Boar with it so far using my own rolled. Hornady 350 Interlock FP on top of 50gr H4198, CCI Mag primers, 2180 fps, this little betty hits hard on both ends;) Still a nice compact woods rifle.Hope to get a moose tag someday and get to try out the 450 on something really big. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice pictures - do you do most of your hunting in NH?

Except for shooting and reloading, I am not sure what I will do with the rifle, if I go hunting, at least I know I won't run into "not enough projectile" syndrome!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Most of my hunting is done in either NH/Maine. Im starting to travel to other states for trophy hunts, Now that I have more time and money on my hands...Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One day I will reach the exalted status of being able to change careers, and I hope to make it an outdoor one! I think it would be too cool to be a game warden, or forestry tech in my latter years, and never retire!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts