Shooters Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
To William Iorg. Found a place, Ranger Point Precision LLC in Cypress Texas just north of Houston. They rechambered the little 840 to .30-30 AI. The people at RPP were did a great job and even did a little extra work to the magazine to help with feed issues. Haven't had much time to shoot it as the NE Texas heat is brutal now in July. When I sit down and start the reload and testing, I'll post more of what I find.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Great.

I will let Siri Tawa know also. She has a Savage 340 Facebook group - a private group you simply as to join.
Lots of .30-30AI threads to help you get started. Don't overlook the 130-grain Spear bullet as is a good deer getter.
You can start and stop you powder search with Hodgdon 4895 so it is an excellent place to start with all bullet weights.

I sure like the .38RPP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ackley Improved

I have never posted anything here before so here it go's. I am running and 8mm-06 AI. I put it on a chronograph yesterday. 196 grain Hornady Match bullets running 2940 FPS. 150's where 3205 FPS. My only regret is using a Yugo Mauser. The magazine box is a little short. I seat the bullets right behind the lands. So I really use it as a single shot from the bench.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Niri Tawa is an aviator, writer, subsistence liver, hunter shooter, etc. her facebook page is not real active but she is there to talk about the 340's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you're really interested in an Ackley cartridge get the new book by Fred Zeglin titled P O Ackley America's Gunsmith. A good read of the history of P O's life, cartridge development and barrel making. powdr

·
Registered
15 Posts
My experience with Ackley versions of otherwise standard cartridges is fairly thin. A friend dearly loves the 257 AI, and has owned several of them, but none will give better velocities with same bullets as I get from my 722 Remington. Sorry, if I need a lot more velocity out of the quarter bore, there's always the 25-06 and 257 Weatherby.
Jim also picked up a Remington autoloader chambered to 30-06, with a chamber that was pitted enough that extraction was very spotty. He had the 30-06 AI reamer run into it, fireformed cases, and recovered an otherwise useless rifle, but again, very little velocity improvement, and certainly not a match for even the 300 H&H.
My own personal experience with the AI line is a 22-250 AI, with a 1-9 twist, 24" SS barrel mounted on a Smith Corona M1903A3 action. THIS round is the bee's knees! It will match my 220 Swift's velocities with most all bullet weights, pushes 40 gr. Noslers next door to 4350 fps, and I don't have to trim cases often, like I do with my Swift.
I hear good things from folks in the region about the 280 AI, but again, I can't see altering the very nice M70 .280 I have, or giving up my 7mm Remington Mag....

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've re-barreled a couple Remington 700s and had to make the AI decision. I like the unusual and offbeat stuff just to be different I suppose. I opted to go with a 257 Roberts and a 6mm Remington, not the most exciting but not often encountered and all manner of die choices are available and you can just buy the cases. A nice Shilen barrel in any twist, length, contour and material and finish will make your day regardless of the caliber. The main reason for going a more standard route rather than AI is that they can be sold or traded more quickly. If your going AI, its only a small step to a wildcat which makes more sense today than in Ackley's time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a .25-06 AI on a Remington 700 action. It is super accurate and I have seen an increase in velocity that is what one would expect from AI. It is a great prairie dog rifle. However, I would not do it again. I only did AI because I had the long action Remington. These days, it is not necessary to have a long action to get AI velocities.

·
Registered
gun work and reloading for over 40 yrs.
9 Posts
I have a 30-30 and 280 Ackley Improved chambered rifles and find them very useful.

The 30-30 version has much extended case life and the 280 pushes 140 Nosler Partition at near 7mm Mag velocities. Waiting to try some of their 150gr Bonded bullets.
i just 150 finish 280 ackley my load is 150 Nosler acc bond nn-160- 63,0 gr. compressed load know pressure works very good

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,869 Posts
Tracy - having a bit of a problem understanding your post. Are you saying you just finished the work on a .280 Ackley Improved and that your load is 150 Nosler Accubonds with 63.0 gr of V V N160?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Where is jimboro? He got me started putting together a Marlin 336 in 250ai . The 250 Savage is supposed to be one of the cartridges that benefits most from the ai treatment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tracy - having a bit of a problem understanding your post. Are you saying you just finished the work on a .280 Ackley Improved and that your load is 150 Nosler Accubonds with 63.0 gr of V V N160?
yes i shot this load in two rifles one custom ,and one Christensen arms know pressure

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
As some of you may know, I am a bit wacky and only want to buy odd firearms. Im not really a main stream follow the masses type person. So my new Want vs need lol is an Ackley Improved rifle.

I don't really know which caliber is better than another or which i should buy. That is where you guys come in. I do shop on Gunbroker which has a few in various calibers. Some are inexpensive and some are crazy expensive.

No purpose for the weapon as i have almost every possible use covered already.

Anyone have an A.I. that they like or dislike and why? I will put a few links to some in gunbroker later to see if you all think this is a good buy or not!

I do reload so ammo is not an issue. If anything it is the reason i look for obscure calibers!
If "Obscure Calibers" are what you are looking for, I agree that a rifle chambered in A.I. is not what you are looking for, on the other hand, if "Accuracy" is what you want, I can tell you of my experience with my two A.I. rifles that I have built, one is a .22-250 A.I. the other a .223 A.I., we have our own Private 100 yard rifle range equipped with a "Shooting Shack" to test our loads/rifles, ALL testing is done with 5 shot groups, the groups are measured with a "Sinclair Group Measuring Caliper Attachment #12-8000, if our loads will not group within our 1/2" diamond targets, (9 Per Target) that load combination will not be retested.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
DON'T DO IT! Getting into Ackley chamberings is akin to getting hooked on addicitive drugs. "Hello, I'm 416elk and I am an addict" I have four, .250, .257R, 25-06, .280 Rem. Honestly, one of the things I appreciate is simply how great they look! And, I truly enjoy the process of brass forming. But, that said, most of the Improved cartridges show marginal improvements in velocity if kept at the parent cartridge SAAMI levels. The .250 and .257R were commercially loaded to accommodate the pressure limits of weaker rifles so those cartridges in good bolt actions showed significant velocity increases. Rationally if you want higher velocity get a larger capacity case but on a more basic level of uniqueness gotta love the Ackleys. I am building a .35 Ackley Whelen -- just for the **** of it.
I have built 2 rifles, .22-250 AI & A .223 AI. SOMETIMES THE STARS ARE ALL PERFECTLY ALIGHNED..!! On 10-29-11 Tom & I shot 9 groups on the targets that I make with "Card Stock Paper" they are 1/2" Red Diamonds, 9 Diamonds Per Target, we shoot on our private 100 yard range that is equipped with "Shooting Shack" with a "Shooting Table", our groups are all with 5 rounds per diamond, we don't take a break or stop shooting. When we are done, we push the bullet holes closed from the backside of the target & then measure the "Group Size" with a Sinclair Group Measuring Caliper Attachment (#12-8000) mounted on a Starrett 798 digital dial caliper. Largest Group: 0.283" Smallest Group: 0.237" Group Size Extreme Spread: 0.046" A "Dimes Thickness" Is 0.053" (2020) Load Data: LC-09 Primer Pockets Uniformed, Rem. 7-1/2, Benchmark 25.5 Gr. Nosler 52 Gr. #53335 Seated At 1.935" (Stony Point Bullet Comparator) I agree, the A.I. cases are so cool to look at, their performance equals their beauty..!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
250 AI . 30-30Ai . 35-300 savage AI . All on marlin 336 action. . They all work great in the marlin levergun . I really enjoy reloading and shooting them . The 250 savage with just the factory ammo is hard to beat. The remington 100 gr. run just under 2700 fps. and the Hornady 100gr. run just over2600 fps. The reloads will gain another 200 fps.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have built 2 rifles, .22-250 AI & A .223 AI. SOMETIMES THE STARS ARE ALL PERFECTLY ALIGHNED..!! On 10-29-11 Tom & I shot 9 groups on the targets that I make with "Card Stock Paper" they are 1/2" Red Diamonds, 9 Diamonds Per Target, we shoot on our private 100 yard range that is equipped with "Shooting Shack" with a "Shooting Table", our groups are all with 5 rounds per diamond, we don't take a break or stop shooting. When we are done, we push the bullet holes closed from the backside of the target & then measure the "Group Size" with a Sinclair Group Measuring Caliper Attachment (#12-8000) mounted on a Starrett 798 digital dial caliper. Largest Group: 0.283" Smallest Group: 0.237" Group Size Extreme Spread: 0.046" A "Dimes Thickness" Is 0.053" (2020) Load Data: LC-09 Primer Pockets Uniformed, Rem. 7-1/2, Benchmark 25.5 Gr. Nosler 52 Gr. #53335 Seated At 1.935" (Stony Point Bullet Comparator) I agree, the A.I. cases are so cool to look at, their performance equals their beauty..!!
let know if need reloading data i'am working on two 280 al at this time

81 - 100 of 104 Posts