Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standard, $5 amazon cheapie wrist rocket.

00 Buckshot, weighing 60 grains average, 148-152fps. 2.998 Ft/lbs of energy.
.432" Round ball, weighing 122 grains average: 123-126fps. 4.2 Ft/lbs of energy.

Things you do on a boring sunny day. :D

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
This is fantastic - Brings back some memories. Thanks for the post.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,120 Posts
That's alright, Matt - I won't tell anyone at the range what you did! :p

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,689 Posts
Hey why not. I ran a few taters over mine once, from a potato cannon a buddy gave me. Lots of laughs at the deer camp!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey why not. I ran a few taters over mine once, from a potato cannon a buddy gave me. Lots of laughs at the deer camp!
I'd like to know the velocity and energy figures for the tater gun.

When my son was in his early teens, he and a buddy spent some time "pitching" taters at each other with their gun. I'm so glad neither of them got hit by a pitch! They never hit one with a bat, I'll tell you.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I once hit a duck on a pond with a crab apple at about 150 yards from the ol' wrist rocket. Sort of ashamed to admit it now. But the duck flew off none the worse for the incident.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,689 Posts
160fps, if I recall correctly. Don't know the weight ...... they would go a couple hundred yards on a 45 degree inclination.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Memories alright.......
I think my mother still has the one from "the incident"
Sounds like a Patrick McManus story.:p

I managed to whack a few english sparrows out of the apple trees when young with a wrist rocket just like that. Ball bearings from farm equipment worked great!

·
Registered
676 Posts
In 40 years of trying I have exactly one dove to my credit and that was an accident. A lot of fence posts have been mortally wounded, I had left and right zeroed in but elevation was never solved. I use 38 cal bullets dug out of the berm for my slingshot ammo, anywhere from 158 gr SJHP to 148 gr LWC. Might be part of my problem......or it's just me. Never tried a chronograph, I'd leave that for the experts because even after 20 perfect test shots the one I try for measuring I would whack your screen......Garonteeeeeed!:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
as a kid I found a crossman wrist rocket with a hard plastic handle that held ammo, in a campground high up in the Colorado rockies. It became my constant companion that summer trip and many a ground squirrel felt the sting of my stones.

When I got home a couple of my buddies got them for birthdays after seeing the one I brought home. At one of the guys 12th or 13th birthdays we had a full on war with green walnut sized apricots that were growing in his back yard. Tons of fun until you got hit with one of those little buggers.

·
Registered
676 Posts
At one of the guys 12th or 13th birthdays we had a full on war with green walnut sized apricots that were growing in his back yard. Tons of fun until you got hit with one of those little buggers.
We made tree branch and inner tube slingshots with green wild plums for ammo. Not fun, not fun, not fun. :eek: Unless you were the hitter and not the hittee. Umm, on that basis I still have to go with not fun.

·
Registered
583 Posts
the funniest thing that happened that night was we were camping out in his back yard and his little brother was sitting on the toilet yelling out the window at us mouthing off. My buddy took one of those apricots and let it fly about 40 yards, right through the window, knocking the litte cuss right off the pot. still makes me laugh when I think about it some 20 years later.

·
Registered
602 Posts
as a kid I found a crossman wrist rocket with a hard plastic handle that held ammo, in a campground high up in the Colorado rockies. It became my constant companion that summer trip and many a ground squirrel felt the sting of my stones.

When I got home a couple of my buddies got them for birthdays after seeing the one I brought home. At one of the guys 12th or 13th birthdays we had a full on war with green walnut sized apricots that were growing in his back yard. Tons of fun until you got hit with one of those little buggers.
Any of you guys now wear a patch over your eye?! LOL!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a 8 foot BigShot slingshot for my tree business, I wonder what how many FPS a 16 oz bag of lead does? I know coming down from 100+ feet they can put big holes in things.

I don't know if you could kill a bear with one, but, I am pretty sure it would give him a headache at least :-D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts