Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried, but to no avail. Don't get me wrong I am sort of glad that NCIS is there for the little usefulness that it has. I am sure that it has prevented more than one crime.
I just can't figure out for the life of me as to why I was delayed. I never been arrested or even pulled over. Arrgggghhhh (sp?). All I wanted to do is shoot some skeet with my friends, I thought that was a good excuse to get a new shotgun.
Anyways I was wondering how a person gets flagged, apparently they don't tell you. Now I don't think I want to ever buy a brand new gun, maybe private sales are for me.

·
Banned
65 Posts
mattsbox99;

Don't feel like you are alone. I had an FFL for 6 years and I get a delay EVERY time I buy a gun from a dealer. Part of the problem is that the FBI is in charge of the system. The system may have prevented more than one crime, but I doubt if it was many more than one. It sure hasn't justified the cost. What it has done quite effectively is to prevent law-abiding citizens like you and me from buying a gun to use for hunting, shooting skeet or protecting our families. It is a sorry system run by one of the sorriest law enforcement agencies that ever existed and both ought to be scrapped. :mad:

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I told the dealer to sell his guns to somebody else and that I wasn't interested anymore.

Incidentally I went to a garage sale about two hours later and picked up a beautiful Ithaca 37 12 Gauge for $200. Maybe the day wasn't so bad afterall. I also got a new set of mud chains for $4. Heck of a deal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm ALWAYS delayed - by exactly 22 hours. If I buy a gun at noon, the approval comes in at 10 the next morning. This is sort of tough because I live a long way from any gun dealer, two trips. Also, gun shows are essentially out. Just another form of harassment.

DC

·
Banned
738 Posts
I haven't bought a gun from a dealer since the FBI took over the NICS system. Not because I have anything to hide, but because they are using this as an illegal form of gun registration.
Anyway, before that when it was done by the state, or the BATf I bought a couple and was never delayed.
Others I know have bought guns and not had any problems.

But I have refused to buy from dealers for a while. Weather I can continue refusing I don't know.
If I were to trip over a gun I just couldn't live without, it might be hard.

I agree with J.P.: "It is a sorry system run by one of the sorriest law enforcement agencies that ever existed and both ought to be scrapped."

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said, I plan to stick to private sales. I am so tired of the bull****. I wish Sarah Brady would come here and protest handguns, she wouldn't make it out of town.
My dad has held a class 3 FFL for as long as I can remember and when he goes to buy a gun, which is quite often, he never gets delayed. One time the dealer only got to his name and SSN before he hung up the phone and said you are approved. I thought that was kind of odd but what the heck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My suggestion

I've been buying firearms, even if I don't need or want them, from citizens for trade goods.
I encourage firends to buy guns for friends as presents, of course it's happenstance that the next week the friend buys one for the first guy that costs about the same amount of money.
Always practice low level resistance to the system. Make mistakes, bollox up the serial number, nobody is perfect.
Jim

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Though I don't like the fact that I have to submit to this kind of inspection to be able to purchase a legal product-I have to ask have any of you that have been delayed by the NICS check actually wrote the FBI-your Congress to find out why you were delayed? I know of a guy who's name kept coming back denied-reason his name and SSAN were very close the a Felon of the same name. So after being denied with out cause he wrote his congressman and he intern ask the FBI to state why this man was being refused by NICS and it took awhile but he got the FBI off there butts and they fixed the system now he has no problems in his purchases.:confused:

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What really pisses me off is that the nics isn't stopping illegal street trades among minors. I am an adult with no criminal record and I can't even buy a shogun to go shoot some skeet with my friends. I like the Ithaca I got the same day and I didn't have to worry about any prying eyes. I asked to get my application back and the dealer refused and then I asked him to at least shred becasue there is quite a bit of sensitive information on there. He refused and I just got pissed off and walked out.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
mattsbox99
Now why would the dealer have to keep the form if the transaction was not completed? Can one our FFL holder please explain?:rolleyes: As I said before you need to find out why you were denied. Make the inquires I suggested and help get it fixed. If you don't fight for your right -you will lose them!!:(

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't really denied, I was delayed. I don't want to complete the transaction any more because I bought and Ithaca. I don't like handing over that kind of sensitive information.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Mattsbox99,

I'd suggest you recommend to your legislative represenative that Montana implement the form of verification that Iowa uses. Once a year, I give my county sheriff's office $5 and fill out a simple questionaire and no more than one week later I get a permit to purchase firearms for the next year without any additional cross checking. When I buy a gun, simply fill out the standard form that asks the same stupid questons (are you insane or an illegal alien?), show them the permit and you're gone in 15 minutes.

I offer this suggestion because it is more convenient and because it's so seldom that Iowa is ahead of anyone else.

Dan

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
DOK
As a CCW holder in ID I enjoy that same priviledge- I'm exempt from the NICS as well. Since they scub your record very good before they let you conceal carry here it 's just common sense to be exempt from the NICS! Being delayed and or denied it shouldn't matter if there's a problem that needs to be fixed. :(

·
Banned
65 Posts
What's really agrivating is that after 6 or 8 purchases and delays, they still delay me. Even a one-eyed toothless 18-year old deaf hound dog can learn after 6 or 8 repetitions, but apparently, the NICS/FBI people aren't that intelligent.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
738 Posts
J.P.,
What's really agrivating is that after 6 or 8 purchases and delays, they still delay me. Even a one-eyed toothless 18-year old deaf hound dog can learn after 6 or 8 repetitions, but apparently, the NICS/FBI people aren't that intelligent.
Supposedly after each background check they distroy the records. I don't really believe this, the records go somewhere, but for those actually doing the background check, they never see the previous checks. It's as if you just now bought the first gun.

I haven't bought a gun since the FBI took over the checks. I'm paranoid about doing it too. Nothing in my background that should cause me problems, but................:confused:

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Around here you can get a CWP (Concealed weapons Permit), Montana is a right to carry state. I don't know if it helps you buy a gun or not but if you are a state or federal employee they don't even do the check. The CWP is good for 3 years after passing a hunter safety course about ethics and safety pertaining to hunting and long guns but nothing to do with handguns. I am an avid shooter and I try not to pass up a good deal and this has netted me several guns from shotguns to muzzleloaders and just about every kind of handgun you can think of, its pretty easy when you live 30 miles from the biggest Indian Reservation in Montana. I once bought a wonderful S&W .38 Special for $45, turned around and sold it for $325.
The entire NICS is utter bull****.Today the dealer called me and said I was denied, after some flagrant wording I decided I had better find out why so if someone could give me a phone number or address as to where I file some sort of grievance, thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts