Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some positive results making BP but it leaves more slag than Pyrodex in my Patriot pistol. I suspect the slag is both from the sulphur and Pot. Nitrate.

If anyone has any ideas on making BP cleaner burning send me ane-mail.

Thanks Gil

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Wondering why your making your own black powder. Even in by gone times the pioneers bought there powder because there very lives depended upon a reliable product that was consistant throughout each batch/lot. From your posted information I see your comparing apples to oranges i.e. black powder to a substitute. That means nothing in what your attempting too do. Both are made differently, burn differently, leave different residues but both propel the bullet down the bore to target.

The making of black powder is very sensitive to tools and equipment used which produce no sparks or static electricity. I'm assuming your making batches of sufficient size that should anything happen you'll be seriously injured. Its not worth the potential troubles. I've made black powder in both high school and college chemistry class labs. Using quality lab chemicals for ingrediants yielded a product that would burn but not realiably.

·
Registered
155 Posts

:D

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Making your own, and I have, falls into that class of things that are nice to know how to do but really not worth the trouble. Aside from the safety aspects - which are very real - you will not end up with a finished product that is anywhere nearly as effective as the commercial stuff.
By the time you buy a ball mill and quality chemicals (and I made my own charcoal), you aren't saving money either.
Pete

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Black powder was one main supply item the Confederate states had troubles getting throughout the Civil War. They built a plant too produce the powder but it never was as good as other available supplies. Believe they ended up regulating it too use in cannons rather than rifles. From my understanding of its making one of the critical ingrediants is the wood material that the charcoal is made from. This ultimately determines how clean burning, amount of residual residue and other factors the powder will ultimately display. TexasMac hit the meat of it with the cartoon.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Black powder isn't that expensive yet. Why don't you just buy a
couple of cans and put your efforts into other channels. I'm sure
you find it fun to do, but the stuff does blow up.

Zeke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Making your own, and I have, falls into that class of things that are nice to know how to do but really not worth the trouble. Aside from the safety aspects - which are very real - you will not end up with a finished product that is anywhere nearly as effective as the commercial stuff.
By the time you buy a ball mill and quality chemicals (and I made my own charcoal), you aren't saving money either.
Pete
Thanks, I have found all this to be true I think the commercial stuff is the way to go. I am almost ready to give up. Sure is fun though. Going to try some of the suggested powders. Need to get some accuracy on my Patriot Pistol and will send out the solutions when I find them. Gil

·
Registered
435 Posts
And Gil, welcome to the board!
Having fun is what it's all about. Good luck with your Patriot and let us know when you get it figured out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks twodot for the encouragement. Will get to the bottom of it. I will try a few ideas out. This time I will document the shots and loads etc. I think the best way for me is to start with lightest loads and start from there.

I cant find the mini balls here in Helena and if anyone out there has a source let me know. Dont know if they even make .45 cal 185 gr.---230 gr for my patriot pistol. Gil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts