Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yes, the Gatling gun was a crank operated repeater. There were many variations of the Gatling gun, and it was in use from about 1865 until the early 1900's.
The Gatling gun concept of rotating barrels is still in use today on aircraft cannons. The A-10 is famous for its huge 30mm cannon with rotatinng barrels.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
A crank operated 303 Would be something else.
I have seen them in a museum’s but I have never heard of an individual having one.
I have heard stories about how you can pin point shots buy walking them in firing single shots and getting a deadly rhythm going with shots hitting regularly.
Rumours are a lot of bunnies met there demise in Queensland Australia because of them.
cheers

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Gatling gun was a crank operated repeater. There were many variations of the Gatling gun, and it was in use from about 1865 until the early 1900's.
The Gatling gun concept of rotating barrels is still in use today on aircraft cannons. The A-10 is famous for its huge 30mm cannon with rotatinng barrels.
Thanks, but Is this a picture of an actual gun with 20 or 21 barrels?
I have been unable to find another one?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
A close look of those picks makes me think that is a prop.
I think the barrels are way to close together and I don’t think they had that many barrels.
Even the black colour looks dodgy with the silver support at the front finishing it of as a prop for me.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Who needs a Gatling gun when you can have this: 36 barrel 'Metal Storm', 1.62 million (yes, million) rounds per minute.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who needs a Gatling gun when you can have this: 36 barrel 'Metal Storm', 1.62 million (yes, million) rounds per minute.

Well,
A clay-more is cheaper! and almost Mach 4.
I don't believe its a Mach 5 9mm and 1.62 is cyclic only.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ahem....pssst.....hey....Not just for aircraft, while some of the most notable are probably the GAU-8 Avenger(A-10) and the many variations of rotary cannons available to the AC-130, the most memorable for me anyway are the M-134( 7.62) and GAU-19( 50 BMG). There was a 20mm ADA version mounted to an M-113 called the VADS I belive. I'm sure there are other variations now.

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
The A-10 Wart Hog is famous because it has a 'gatlin gun' it was born around. I don't doubt there are other uses.
Let's count the applications of the Ma Deuce and its variations. Most kids my age had never heard of them before Rat Patrol. MMMm let me see, I was 16 and had a P-40 mounted variation of a Ma Deuce in the garage.
That is a Hollyweird prop. The Gatlins had six to ten barrels and could be made in most any rimmed, BP cartridge but they did make it (barely) into the Cordite era.
I have the commercial plans for a 22LR Gatlin, third scale. I wanted to make a half scale 38Spec. but haven't quite gotten around to it. I rented my machine tools to make a .22LR model and got the $500 prints as rent.

·
Registered
286 Posts
JBELK:
Since I know "spit from wild honey" about gunsmithing and machining, I'd be of no help (handing you tools, perhaps) on the .22 LR Gatling gun build, but MAN what an interesting journey! It'd have to be pretty cool to just watch!

Reactions: Pudfark

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
Gatlin guns are not at all simple in design. It uses multiple cams that have to be cut in a big brass chunk. We marveled at how Gatlin built the prototype in 1860. There were multiple mistakes in the blue prints and one part was just wrong. All that was repaired and a six barreled .22 LR Gatlin was done but making it hopper feed was a week's work. It ate dummy .22s for a while and finally started trying to shoot them. Range day was a hoot.
Brass and blued steel is a great combo.
The massive Colt Gatlin at the front entrance to the Winchester museum many years ago was ornately engraved in flourish font on the brass breech with charcoal blued barrels like a Third model SAA. Totally beautiful!

Reactions: Pudfark
1 - 14 of 14 Posts