Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some empties at the range and have no idea what they are from.....the headstamp says Winchester, Model 101, No 20. They are about 60 caliber and 1.4 inches long and appear to be something other than a boxer primer. Is this a flare cartridge or something else?

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
Did you pick up an abandoned 20 GA. brass shotgun shell? The CAS shooters like those for authenticity.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If its a shotgun shell it sure is short, Winchester did make a model101 shotgun O/U. The closest thing I see in my Cartridges of the World book is a 58 Carbine(Berdan), I assume this means berdan primed. There is very little info on this cartridge. It shoots a .589 bullet diameter bullet, the neck diameter of the case is .625. The case length is 1.5 inches, though there appears to be a little uncertainty of this. Some other measurements that is to be considered is the rim dia. , the 58 carbine is .740. This cartridge was first made around 1869, perhaps winchester made some brass for it before and after its demise. Hopefully someone who knows something will come along and help out. Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.