Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was our general deer opener on Sunday, 10/10/10, and, birthday for one of my hunting buddies, Derek. We did fairly well. He and his wife went up one ridge, I went up the opposite ridge and we pushed towards the upper basin. Here's a pic of the upper basin where the carnage took place; the strip of avalanche spruce in the center of the photo. I haven't looked at the map, but think it's around 9000 ft elev.

Here's Derek's wife with her first buck, a nice 4x5. Not bad at all for a first buck!!

Here's Derek with his trophy forky.

We boned out the 4x5 and I carried that out to the pickup, and the wife
carried a pack and rifle back and offloaded that. I aired out my feet for about 15 minutes, then we headed back up to meet up with Derek who was dragging his buck down the rocky drainage. That wasn't very good dragging terrain and he was beat. We boned that one out too and I took half and another rifle, he took the other half and his wife took another pack down. Exhausting day, but we made it out with an hour of daylight to spare!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Congrats to your friend and wife, Shawn.

Now, get back up there and get yours so's they can help you carry it out! :D

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Shawn, that is huntin, right there! Three of the last 4 deer I shot had the decency to breath their last where I could actually pull up to them with a truck, and the fourth was only a 150-yard drag to the edge of the corn field. The scenery was nowhere NEAR as beautiful as that valley, either! In case the envy font isn't working, I'm jealous. :D

Kudos to you and your buddy for helping a new hunter, and a lady at that, put her first buck on the ground. I hope she's a registered Republican and has lots of female friends she can influence with the excitement of her successful hunt. Such is our future, so thank you for taking the time to help secure it!

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
With a friend like Shawn, who needs a guide. ;) Glad yall had a successful hunt. Seeing your buddies kill nice deer is as good as killing one yourself.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Dang, next time I need a pig dragged out of some briars, I know who to call!!!!!

Congrats....

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Well, Shawn, I wondered what you were up to. Looks like you didn't miss out on any hunting trips. Beautiful country you got up there, I hope to see it one day.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well all, it was a fine day, and Derek's wife was beaming. And yes, jodum, that's worth killing one yourself, if not more. I think I have my elk hunting legs under me now, and that's coming right up! Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Thanks Shawn. good luck with the elk. I can't wait for pics. Get some of camp. Wife: "Honey, why don't you take me to deer camp?" Husband: "It's deer camp" Wife: "I'm just saying........." Husband: "It's deer camp"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts