Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was left a considerable amount of casting & loading tools & bullet molds. Don't really know what all I have here. Because of the amount of 25-20 & 32-20 brass & ammo I assume some of the loading dies are for those cals. Problem is the dies are just not marked with the cal. Very perplexing. One tool is plainly marked 40-82, another 32-40. The rest is a mystery to me. Much more than what are in these pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,579 Posts
It looks like you have a complete reloading set-up for several calibers that were typical of the '20s and '30s. Look close on the 310 dies. The stamping is sometimes tiny.
I see a shotshell roll crimper and several nice 310 "Tong Tools".
For survivalist, a 310 tool, mold, and components can be contained in a small waterproof box like an ammo can and have a thousand round ammo equivalent in an easy to carry/hide form.
Did you get the guns by any chance?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No guns. Just loading dies & molds. Will a magnifying glass out & see what I can se.So far just not able to make out much.Some loaded ammo & empty brass.

·
Super Moderator
14,220 Posts
What a nifty collection.

IIRC, at one point Navy Arms had a rolling block carbine chambered for the old rimfire 32 Long. They imported ammo for that chambering from South America, probably hoping to spark a revival of interest in it. Its 90-grain heeled RN bullet about equalled the velocity of a 22 Long Rifle standard velocity load, giving it about twice the muzzle energy. Thus it could be expected to do better than the RN 22 LR on tougher vermin, like rats, or to take larger pot game like jackrabbits without destroying much meat. It's BC I would be about 12% higher than the 40-grain .22 RN so it would have a trajectory and need target leads about like that of a 22 LR Hi-Speed, which most 22 LR hunters hunters are be familiar with.

I saw the gun and ammunition for sale at gun shows in the 1980s. I don't recall the prices, but do recall the ammunition price struck me as high for something ostensibly non-reloadable. Perhaps the rolling block makes sense in that context. It would keep you from shooting too fast, and your target accuracy expectations would be limited. Given the way the CBC 22 LR ammunition that Navy Arms also imported was shooting at that time, holding expectations down would make sense.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dom, what an eclectic and wonderful acquisition!!! What are you going to do with it?

Reactions: shreck
1 - 6 of 6 Posts