1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
I don't recognize the proofs but the guns look Spanish or Italian. Probably .44 cal. The bullet mold may be marked.
Cap and ball revolvers are fun to shoot but no fun to clean afterwards.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

Welcome to the board !

The revolvers appears to be copies of the Colt Model 1851, and since the cylinders are not rebated, they're almost certainly .36 cal.

IIRC, most 1851's take a .375" RB - but a .380" ball might be correct for those guns.

I would just try each size for fit - the appropriate size should shave off a thin/even ring of lead (to seal the chamber front) as they are seated into the chamber mouths.

Congrats - That's a pretty good-looking cased pair !

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Do yourself a favor and make a brass punch for the barrel wedge. It looks like somebody has been banging on them with a screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Who said they were?

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here and hope you post often. Those are nice looking bp revolvers. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with Rangr44 (how can you not with 44 in his name) They look like 1851s. They make them in 44 but the cylinders are larger toward the front of the gun and the frame has a notch cut into it to accept the larger cylinder. Read up on them carefully so you are sure you are shooting them safely. I have a very early 36 cap and ball and it has a .40 bore diameter. Proper ball fit is important to safe operations of this type of gun.

They look like fun best wishes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts