Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to import my Grandfathers antiques, one of the items is a flintlock musket unsure if it legitimate, to be honest it holds sentimental value so even if it is a replica I will be importing it, just need to know where it comes from originally, it's make/model.

tried looking online for hours to figure it out myself, between the flat stock, the metal buttplate and the strange right degree drop in the stock right behind the flintlock mechanism almost like some North African or Oriental flintlocks, I am struggling.

I hope some of you can help me identify this, thanks.

I couldn't figure out how to upload images so used this

imgur.com/a/NVjtH

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Your pic link isn't viable, so your flinchlock ID is difficult at best w/o additional descriptive info.

I would suggest inspecting the barrel, and the lockplate (inside & out) for any maker's mark or other info.

On Imgur, isolate each pic by double-clicking on it, then highlight the "large thumbnail" pic size at the bottom of the RH menu, before copying the "direct url" for pasting here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
unfortunately these are some pics my uncle took of them as I am on the other side of the planet from it.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,410 Posts
I think I'm confused. Don't take this the wrong way, just trying to clarify.

In order for you to import a rifle down there, your importer is asking for a make/model. Your uncle who is in possession of it, can't answer that. Depending on how literal you were, if he's in the states he would have to take it to an FFL to export. So can the FFL also not figure it out, or has your uncle not taken it there yet?

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
That's an old trade musket with an altered butt-stock. There is no 'make model and serial number' to give.

"Importing" guns takes two dealers---An 'agent' on the foreign end and an 'importer' on the US end. I would NEVER consider 'importing' personal guns because they have to be STAMPED with the importer's name. That effectively ruins any decent gun.

Depending on where the uncle is and what guns are involved, I'd pack them well and send by air freight as "personal antiques". That WILL NOT work with black guns!!!!

Reactions: xjsdvr

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,020 Posts
Folks may be able to give you better advice if they know where your uncle is, and where you are. Up to you to give that information. I can see where you are posting from, but know nothing of the laws where you are.

In the U.S., federal law does not consider muzzle-loaders to be firearms at all. I don't know if any states vary from that. Mostly you can just order them by phone or on web sites and they show up by one carrier or another....

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
The evidence of ECONOMY is strong. Three barrel bands of the same size and the external mainspring are two examples.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry, yes I should have put in the locations, he is located in the U.K.
and I am located in New Zealand. I have been in contact with the police to ask if I required licensing, he handed me some import papers that have details on it like manufacturer, model, Calibre & Serial number.
They said other then that it is okay, I will be going over to the UK in November and was going to attempt to bring them back with me.

I will ask him for more photos, but he is not much of a history gun or history guy, the gun is just in the attic at my grandmothers house.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,410 Posts
Shoot a PM to moderator Sus Scrofa. He may be able to recomend someone in the UK that can help you take care of things.

Reactions: Coragus
1 - 10 of 10 Posts