Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would like to post a picture, but I don't know how.. the rifle is new, never been fired. I took it to a gun show once and the guy at the Winchester table just wanted to buy it. If anybody can tell how to post a picture I will.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Try Photobucket or other internet hosts. You won't be eligible to use the forum photo features until you have 25 posts and 10 days on the forum - stops a lot of drive-by spamming. Sorry but necessary feature in this day and age.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Ranger was an entry-level rifle in the Winchester line, as were all the Ranger models in each line, including pump-action shotguns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But why is the magazine tube 1 3/4" shorter than the barrel. All the ones that I see they are both the same lenght.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Some of the Ranger models made for the big retail chains (Sears, Western Auto, Wal-Mart, etc.) had the shorter mag tube. Yours could have been a factory mistake or swapped later by the owner. Another possibility is that it is a "Chapter 11 gun". The serial number would indicate manufacture in 1985, the year before USRA went into chapter 11 but the receiver could have still been on the shelf in 1986 and assembled as parts gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So basically, it nothing special. If that’s the case I guess it’s time to load her up and put some rounds thru her. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
So basically, it nothing special. If that’s the case I guess it’s time to load her up and put some rounds thru her. Thanks for the info.
No, it is not anything special. I have been digging thru my old catalogs from USRA (Winchester) and discovered that the Ranger model was made with the short mag during the first two years. So the '84 and '85 Rangers had the shorter magazine, and possibly one other year. After a couple of years the Rangers had the same mag as other 94, the only difference after that was the front sight and the hardwood stocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts