Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm puzzled by a bullet I'm asked to identify. It was pulled from a 223 case. The 62 grain bullet appears to be lead, has a gas check, and includes three neoprene rings around it where I'd expect grease grooves. The powder charge was about three grains of a flake type powder. Is any one familiar with a training round or any other application of this bullet? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,263 Posts
If it is cast and gas-checked, it is likely to be a home-brew gallery load or the creation of a small commercial casting operation. I don't know why someone would go to the expense of using o-rings when lube is a lot cheaper? All that comes to mind is that perhaps they are meant to be recovered in a soft backstop and re-used? Is the bullet diameter itself smaller than .219", so that the o-rings are all that would touch down in the grooves and all that hold the bullet in the case neck? If so, I think the reusable theory is probably correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the sample was pulled from a case containing a large number of rounds. I don't know how many, but if hanloads it was a mighty energetic loader. I only suspect that there is some unknown to me use for such bullets that might make factory loading understandable. Of course, I have no idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts