Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to hear your opinions.....

Personally, I think a 22LR, .223 (for varmints and target practice - cheap on the wallet), a .30-06 (due to its versatility), and a .338. You would have everything covered from squirrels, prairie dogs, yotes, deer, elk, moose and bear.

·
Banned
103 Posts
i think you got the bases covered pretty well there coltdog.. do most anything with those guns ,if the shooter is capable an the rifle is true..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
For what application?? North America?? The world??

If for N.A. I'd go with:

.22 LR
.220 Swift
7-STW or .300 Wby. (take your pick)
.375 Wby.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine picks would be a 22WMR, 22-250, 270WSM, and a 35 Whelen. I think I would be pretty well covered down for most stuff! Scotty

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Rifles only I assume?

22WMR, .22-250, .30-06, and .375 H&H

I questioned only .22LR vs the WMR and .243 vs the .22-250

Now is the question involves all rounds (shotgun and pistol too), then we are going to have a different set of answers. A 12 Gauge would be a must. That would mean one of the others would have to go away. Then if you wanted to pack a side arm, a second would have to go. Or a dual use round would have to be added. I am not a pistolero, so it would not be so tough for me. But if I was in Alaska or Africa, I might want to pack a .454 or something along those lines.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
.22 LR
.45 Colt
12 Guage

·
Registered
107 Posts
.17HMR-has proven totally superior to 22lr for varmint and small game
.308-can shoot bullets ranging from 110-200grains for small to medium game and some large game with range limitations
.325WSM-hard hitting heavy bullets capable of taking any large game on the N.A. continent
.50 Muzzleloader-inexpensive catch all capable, again, of anything on the N.A. continent within it's range limits.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Since I don't hunt for anything larger than whitetails, and my gun club has a max range of 300 yards, I'd choose 22LR, 270 WIN, 260 REM, and 223. If I started shooting farther or bigger I'd move up in caliber, maybe a 7mm short magnum of some kind.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
So everyone pretty much has some kind of .22 rimfire, some kind of fast .22 or 6mm centerfire, some kind of medium centerfire, and one medium bore magnum. A few big bore lever options are likely coming soon as well.

Not to highjack the post, but let's say you had to exist and maybe even survive somehwere like Alaska, Canada, or Africa. Handguns and shotguns were in the equation. That makes it a lot tougher question. I personally would always want a shotgun and some kind of .22 around. That leaves me with only 2 other rounds. If you'd want to pack a side arm, then that leaves me with one other high powered centerfire round. Now it is a tough question.

I come down like this:

.22WMR
12 Gauge
.454 Casull/.45 Colt (with both a lever gun and revolver)
.375 H&H

I can't beleive I am leaving the .30-06 out. ****. But the .375 H&H will certainly kill anything the 06 would and then some.

The utility of a .454/.45 pistol/carbine combo is just too good to pass up. The .460 and .500 are just a little too big and cumbersome to me in a revolver. The 454 is about right and is a very potent stopper at close range when loaded with heavy bullets.

·
Registered
722 Posts
So everyone pretty much has some kind of .22 rimfire, some kind of fast .22 or 6mm centerfire, some kind of medium centerfire, and one medium bore magnum. A few big bore lever options are likely coming soon as well.

Not to highjack the post, but let's say you had to exist and maybe even survive somehwere like Alaska, Canada, or Africa. Handguns and shotguns were in the equation. That makes it a lot tougher question. I personally would always want a shotgun and some kind of .22 around. That leaves me with only 2 other rounds. If you'd want to pack a side arm, then that leaves me with one other high powered centerfire round. Now it is a tough question.

I come down like this:

.22WMR
12 Gauge
.454 Casull/.45 Colt (with both a lever gun and revolver)
.375 H&H

I can't beleive I am leaving the .30-06 out. ****. But the .375 H&H will certainly kill anything the 06 would and then some.

The utility of a .454/.45 pistol/carbine combo is just too good to pass up. The .460 and .500 are just a little too big and cumbersome to me in a revolver. The 454 is about right and is a very potent stopper at close range when loaded with heavy bullets.
Alright if that was the case then

12 ga Shotgun
44 magnum
300 win ( can be loaded down for Varmits) (Loaded up for Deer, Elk, moose)
338 Win or 375 H&H ( for the stuff that hunts you)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
My choice for this hypothetical question is as follows gentlemen:

1. 12 gauge pump 590 Mossberg

2. My .264/06 in model 70 Winchester

3. A .338 Win mag in model 70 Winchester

4. The .416 Remington mag in model 70 Winchester

·
Registered
620 Posts
6.5-06
.30-06
.35 Whelen

Nothing on this continent you couldnt bring down at any reasonable range.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This has been asked before, only the question has been which 5 calibers would you have? Only 4? 22-243, 6mm284, 7mmstw and 45-70. I have lived in Alaska and these are still my choices.Q

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Ah, the ever-popular, "if you could only have 'x' number of "... question. Now, he said if you could only have four CALIBERS, which I took literally. Hence, I have a total of six guns listed, below. It breaks my heart to leave the 270 Win. off this list.

22LR (bolt-action for small game, semi-auto pistol for self-defense/fun)

30-'06 ('dogs to moose)

44 (Rifle and revolver, to kill pretty much anything inside 100 yards)

12 gauge pump, 3" chamber (all sorts of stuff, including self-defense)

1 - 20 of 145 Posts