Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little brother has been debating on getting a lever gun , I think hes leaning towards a 45/70 over the 30-30 . I told him not to think he has to shoot buffalo bore or such rounds just for deer hunting . If a 44 mag is a deer cartridge than 45-70 cowboys loads are as well imo .

Anyhow he went to a gun shop to look at some marlins and the henrys .
The henry 45/70 was priced 200$ more , he said the action was smoother but wasnt sure if it was 200$ smoother .

Im not sure if he will go bear hunting but he does like to go hiking occasionally .
My thinking is the marlin would be better in that situation because of the side loading gate .

I know the remington made marlins had alot of issues at first , but havnt heard how they currently are ? JM marlins in 30-30s seem to be pretty cheap but the 45/70s I have seen at around 1,000$ . Then again another possible option would be to layaway one of the 1886 repros since he doesnt need it right now at the moment . Who makes the better 1886 reproduction ? The pedersolis look nicer than the ones winchester makes but I wonder how they compare in function .

I have no experience with lever guns and the only one ive ever held was a marlin stainless guide gun and the lever on it felt like one of the submarine movies where they are trying to seal the water tight doors .

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
If I ever bought a new lever action carbine, it would be one in .44 Magnum or .25-35 Win. However, I own a Rossi Puma in .44-40 Win. which is a Winchester model 92 clone.:)

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
The negative on the M71, .348 ammo is somethimes difficult to find. Even brass is a "seasonal" production item from Winchester.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
i reload for mine. never had a problem with getting brass or bullets. I always keep an extra 100; plenty for my needs...this is not a plinking rifle.

But, your right Monty...could be a problem; you will not find them in Walmart like most of the other cartridges mentioned...and they will not be cheap like 44, 30-30.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The side loading gate is no advantage at all. In fact, the Henry is easier to load and unload by filling the mag tube from the end (I'm not promoting Henry's, I don't even own one). I've owned Marlins in the past and they were good guns. If I were getting another lever gun today for use as you described, it would probably be a Marlin in either .357mag (preferable), or 44mag. The Henry's are slick guns, but they're also heavier. For walking around I'd opt for the Marlin for that reason. As for Pedersoli.....they make great single shot rifles. Absolutely GREAT. However, I purchased two new Pedersoli 1886 rifles in 45-70 and both went back for a refund. Neither one would cycle or feed. I liked the looks of the guns enough to contact Turnbull to see if they could correct the problem. They said that they had gotten some in to use for a platform for the guns they sell and had the same problems. I contacted the N. American repair/gunsmith, and he said there was a production problem and no fix at the time. It could be months before I got the gun back. After buying and returning two of them that did not function, I had enough. I ended up buying a Winchester/Miroku and it's flawless in function and extremely accurate. I'd advise you to look at them as a first choice.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speaking of the 44-40 the bp loads ive seen are [email protected] which i think are from a pistol barrel but the loads Ive seen for smokeless they are alot weaker . Why are the 44-40 cowboy loads weaker than the bp load ?

200grs @ 1200 fps is basically a 10mm auto right ?
If so that makes the 44-40 quite a bit more powerful than the 45 lc

·
Registered
451 Posts
Henry is making lever guns now with side loading, while keeping the tube for loading or unloading rounds. The Henry is a great, slick operating rifle and I would pick a 45/70 with an Octagon barrel because I don't have a "repeater" in that caliber. The 45/70 is a very versatile cartridge with a large array of bullets cast or jacketed. Loading the cheaper cast bullets are as effective on game as the jacketed ones due to the diameter of the bullet and you don't need a lot of velocity (or recoil) for good terminal effects. Loaded with an "appropriate powered" load, the 45/70 will effectively take on any game you might want to pursue in North America.

Henry is also a great U.S. company that prides itself on its customer service. I think the $200 extra for a Henry would be money well spent over the "long run" regardless of the caliber you choose.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If there's any way you can swing it, lay-away the 1886 repro. you;'ll be glad you did.

Reactions: MS 9x56

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Henry in 45-70. But, since I'm often a tite-wad, it'd probably be a Marlin in same caliber, and I think I'd be just as happy. As nsb said, Henry's are heavier and probably the main reason I'd opt for one is because I don't own one. :)

Reactions: CCAguns

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
To date, I have handled (fondled) numerous "Remlins" at shops from NY to AZ and MS and NM in-between. Both new and used. I've handled and shot 3 at my range, including one in 45-70 (very nice). They are probably not quite the fit and finish we expect from the older JM-stamped Marlins. Butt! And this is a big butt, they're still a Marlin and I do-not-believe their reliability, mechanics, and fit and finish for that matter, are so terrible that we can't own one. There are better - I prefer all of my older Marlins - rifles out there, but probably not for the price. I don't think they will shoot any better or any worse than the older Marlins, and certainly they'll last just as long with care.

You said he wants a new-made rifle, or at least that's his first preference. If you're brother doesn't like the price, or weight, or anything else about Henry or other maker, I'd just get the Marlin. And I'd get it in 45-70

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I was looking at the weight between a 22" henry vs marlin in 45/70 and the henry is 1lb 10 oz more . Seems like it would be pretty soft shooting with cowboy loads ? Here our deer are pretty small ( south georgia) .

Henry also makes a brass frame or colored single shot any opinion on those ?
I will ask him what he thinks about the 35 remington . However Im not sure if he would buy one .
Atleast from what I can tell locally 45/70 ammo is easier to find than 35 rem .
See I order most my ammo online so I usually buy odd caliber guns . But he just sold his g20 in 10mm I think mostly because of trying to find ammo .

Does anyone sell a smokeless load for the 44-40 that matches the bp loads [email protected] ?
Ive read out of a rifle barrel they are 1800fps with a 200gr bullet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The model 64 Winchester is one of the classiest levers out there. Like the 71, but less recoil and cheaper 30-30 ammo. Spendy gun tho. I've wanted one for years, never found one gently used at a fair price. First one I seen, I came across an older guy in the big woods of northern Wisconsin, who just piled up a big doe. He was way up in years so I gutted and drug it to his car, helped load it too. Always remember how careful he was with that 64 going through brush while I drug that deer. That was about 1970?? A gun ya don't forget...

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Does anyone sell a smokeless load for the 44-40 that matches the bp loads [email protected]? Ive read out of a rifle barrel they are 1800fps with a 200gr bullet.
I reload my .44-40 ammo using IMR-4227 with a 200 grain jacketed .427" bullet. In my Rossi Puma, I get velocity in the 1,800 F.P.S from my reloaded ammo. However, an old rifle in .44-40 this very well might be too hot of a load. Use caution! For older .44-40 rifles or even handguns I'd use a cast bullet and Unique powder.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
If he is trying to decide between a 30-30 and 45-70, I would take a close look at a 35 Remington. Marlin 336's in 35 Remington are priced pretty reasonably.
This is a great response to the OP. The 35 Remington is a good compromise between the two cartridges.

I think of the Marlin 336 as a good "working" rifle, but there's no question the Henry rifles are in a different class, in terms of quality. While both are the kind of gun you'll be able to hand down to your grandchildren, the Henry is likely to be of greater valuable as a collectible, some day. If such things matter to you or your brother, that is something to consider.

·
Registered
352 Posts
VERY broad question, but - I've heard that the QC issues with the Remington/Marlins has significantly improved. If that is so, the Marlin in 30-30 or 45-70. The Italian lever clones are too quality deficient for me to consider. If money were no object, the Miroku/Winchester quality is excellent. For the money, the Rossi/Braztech M92 works very well. I also like the BLR in the Magnum chamberings, but generally, they need a trigger job out of the box. I have no experience with the Henrys, so I cannot opine on them.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Got a 35 rem Marlin 336. great deer/bear cartridge. BUT with factory loads, it does kick much more than the 30-30.

The new FTX bullets (pointed hollow points) are really great for the Marlin tubular magazine.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have the PEDERSOLI 1886/71 45-70, I think it's an Excellent rifle!, only Winchesters I have are 9422 and a 71 348W, have Henry's chambered for 22LR, 327 Federal and 41 Magnum, have Marlins chambered for 22LR, 25-20, 30-30, 32WS, 357 Mag, 35 Remington, 356 Winchester, 375 Winchester, 44 Mag, 444Marlin, 45 Colt, 45-70, and 450 Marlin.
Guess I can't make up my mind!??

1 - 20 of 93 Posts