Shooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Marlin 1895 in 45-70, all SS with the short barrel. I'd spend good money on Skinner rear sights, a Happy trigger and a Ranger Point medium large loop lever.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So we found two jm marlins 336s for sale locally both around 399$
One of them is what I guess is a deluxe model it has checking on the grip and forend and a gold trigger ?
Hes has taking a liking to the feel of the 336 so I think thats what hes planning on getting .

On a side note , a sling on a lever action seems like a terrible idea , one of the 336s in the shop had one and it kept blocking the lever when you want to cycle the action . I suppose there are different ways to carry a lever gun besides a sling .

·
Registered
287 Posts
So we found two jm marlins 336s for sale locally both around 399$
One of them is what I guess is a deluxe model it has checking on the grip and forend and a gold trigger ?
Hes has taking a liking to the feel of the 336 so I think thats what hes planning on getting .

On a side note , a sling on a lever action seems like a terrible idea , one of the 336s in the shop had one and it kept blocking the lever when you want to cycle the action . I suppose there are different ways to carry a lever gun besides a sling .
Either of the JM Marlins would be a good choice; if the bores are both OK, why not get the Deluxe model? I don't see it losing value in the long run.

Why does one need a sling for a lever gun? Well, to carry it on your back, if you need both hands to, say, climb. Or, if you're humping out a kill (in which case you aren't going to use the lever anyway, right?)

The only lever action I"ve ever owned that had a sling on it was a Win. Mdl 71. Back in my more active days, I'd sling it on a back pack while hiking into elk country. But when I'd get there, I'd remove it while hunting (I can't believe I used to do that crap: shooting an elk down in a canyon meant carrying it out in five or more trips. There were a lot of times I thought about just carrying a knife, fork and some matches; just come and get me when I've finished eating).

My current lever is a Win Mdl 94. Those are so handy, so easy to carry, I've never felt the need for a sling. But I'm not climbing into canyons or up mountains any more either.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Op, I don't know your location, but, last week I was in the Gun Shop in Idaho Falls, Id, and they had a new 336 in .35 Rem for $509. That rifle was as slick as can be. Thought I'd toss that out there.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Probly a Uberti 76 in 45/60 WCF.
Im actually planning on getting one of those but in 50-95 .
In my opinion probably one of the best looking lever actions .
Then again my favorite guns are the pre 1899 designed/styled options .

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Either of the JM Marlins would be a good choice; if the bores are both OK, why not get the Deluxe model? I don't see it losing value in the long run.

Why does one need a sling for a lever gun? Well, to carry it on your back, if you need both hands to, say, climb. Or, if you're humping out a kill (in which case you aren't going to use the lever anyway, right?)

The only lever action I"ve ever owned that had a sling on it was a Win. Mdl 71. Back in my more active days, I'd sling it on a back pack while hiking into elk country. But when I'd get there, I'd remove it while hunting (I can't believe I used to do that crap: shooting an elk down in a canyon meant carrying it out in five or more trips. There were a lot of times I thought about just carrying a knife, fork and some matches; just come and get me when I've finished eating).

My current lever is a Win Mdl 94. Those are so handy, so easy to carry, I've never felt the need for a sling. But I'm not climbing into canyons or up mountains any more either.
We dont have elk , at least not in this part of Georgia as far as im aware lol.
Our Deer are in the 100lb range so pretty small compared to probably the rest of NA .

Sounds like having a horse would come in handy when hunting elk and having to haul the meat out ?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Funny Story. In the days before anyone had a GPS.

My hunting buddy had just dropped a BIG whitetail just as the sun was going down, and we hustled to get him ready for a drag, a long one. The first couple of "sprints" got to the crest of a hill, and when we stopped puffing, my buddy leaned his M94 against a tree to use both hands to drag, I had a sling on mine, and we started down hill, (it was a rainy, windy afternoon). The drag to the bottom of the steep slope was more of a race to stay ahead of the buck on the wet leaves, and when we got to the bottom, my friend headed back up the hill to grab his rifle. He ran out of battery on his flashlight before he found it. :(

Long story made short, it took most of the next day to locate his M94. A bit wet, but none the worse for the adventure. I never saw him carry a rifle of shotgun without a sling again.

And that's what slings are for. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im actually planning on getting one of those but in 50-95 .
In my opinion probably one of the best looking lever actions .
Then again my favorite guns are the pre 1899 designed/styled options .
There is one on gunbroker right now at a great price, but in 45/75. I already got one in that caliber or I'd have got it myself already.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/821815203

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Henry in 45-70. But, since I'm often a tite-wad, it'd probably be a Marlin in same caliber, and I think I'd be just as happy. As nsb said, Henry's are heavier and probably the main reason I'd opt for one is because I don't own one. :)
i don't think the weight is any different. I own a Steel Henry carbine in 45-70, and a friend has a marlin carbine in 45-70. I'll be ****ed if I can feel a weight difference.

Reactions: FTG-05

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
So I was looking at the weight between a 22" henry vs marlin in 45/70 and the henry is 1lb 10 oz more . Seems like it would be pretty soft shooting with cowboy loads ? Here our deer are pretty small ( south georgia) .

Henry also makes a brass frame or colored single shot any opinion on those ?
I will ask him what he thinks about the 35 remington . However Im not sure if he would buy one .
Atleast from what I can tell locally 45/70 ammo is easier to find than 35 rem .
See I order most my ammo online so I usually buy odd caliber guns . But he just sold his g20 in 10mm I think mostly because of trying to find ammo .

Does anyone sell a smokeless load for the 44-40 that matches the bp loads [email protected] ?
Ive read out of a rifle barrel they are 1800fps with a 200gr bullet.

My steel Henry 45-70 carbine, with steel rings, a sling, and a 3-9x40MM scope weighs 9 pounds even. So the bare gun is probably about 7.5#. I doubt the marlin 45-70 marlin carbine weighs 6 pounds. It is does, I'm not sure I'd want to shoot it.

Attachments

·
Banned
11 Posts
Does anyone sell a smokeless load for the 44-40 that matches the bp loads [email protected] ?
Yes, Buffalo Bore sells them.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=513

Item # 44-40 200 HC, features a 15 BHN hard cast bullet. (Pure lead is 4-5 BHN) This bullet will not expand when impacting living mammalian tissues at 1,300 fps or less. It will act as a “solid” and therefore penetrate quite deeply (at least three feet+, depending on what bones are struck). The flat nose will do a great deal of terminal damage when compared to a round nose bullet.
The bullet is sized .428 inch and fits wonderfully into .427 through .429 bores.
We are also using a flash suppressed powder to avoid blinding muzzle flash in the event you are forced to drop the hammer in low light when the criminal element and when wild animals are most active.
We do not intend to make a jacketed bullet load in 44-40 as jacketed bullets, in general, are not as slick as hard cast bullets and raise pressures far too much. We would have to load a jacketed bullet about 200-250 fps slower than a hard cast bullet to stay within the SAAMI max. average pressure spec. of 13,000 CUP.
➤ 1,350 fps -- Winchester model 1892, 20-inch barrel, circa 1916
➤ 1,353 fps -- Uberti model 1873, 19-inch barrel, circa 1997
➤ 1,034 fps -- Ruger Vaquero (large frame), 7.5-inch barrel, circa 2003
➤ 1,036 fps -- Colt New Service, 7.5-inch barrel, circa 1905
➤ 980 fps -- S&W model 544, 5.5-inch barrel, circa 1980’s
➤ ??? fps -- Custom (Brian Pearce made) SAA replica, 5.5-inch barrel, circa 2017
➤ 949 fps -- Ruger converted 357 Mag. flat top (by Jack Huntington), circa 1959, 4.75-inch barrel

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like having a horse would come in handy when hunting elk and having to haul the meat out ?
In those days, I had more energy than money to hire horses. And all too often, the elk was down where it was hard to get a horse anyway. Like I said....can't believe I did that....

·
Registered
854 Posts
Since our elementry school 5th grade class studied the War Between the States and a class mate's mother brought an original brass framed 1860 Henry rifle that their ancestor had carried in that conflict... I got to hold it ...
I have always wanted to own one.
My choice would be a New Original Henry 1860 rifle in 44-40 , brass framed with blued barrel and magazine.

If I ever hit the lottery... I'm getting one !
Gary

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just picked up a newer made Browning BLR lightweight in .358 Winchester. With the 4 round clip and one in the chamber, I have 5 shots as fast as I can work the lever. Not only that, I can shoot pointed bullets out of it. I'm planning on picking up and extra magazine so I will have 4 more shots readily available. To me, this is about the best hunting package for anything in North America that I can find. The .358 is actually a 225-250 yard gun in spite of what some people may think. A 220 grain bullet out the 20 inch barrel is around 2400 fps. Even though the BLR is considered an lever action, the bolt actually locks up more like a bolt action.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
For all around hunting, Id' lean to 45 Govt. But, for bear country, .50 Alaskan, for sure.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts