Shooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
For all around hunting, Id' lean to 45 Govt. But, for bear country, .50 Alaskan, for sure.
I have a Marlin Stainless Guide Gun and I live in bear country. Mine is loaded up with 525 grain BearTooth Sledge-Hammers. Not easy on the shoulder but makes me feel very comfortable while out in my boat, this is my boat gun. I love the 45/70 and know it packs on heck of a wallop. Big bears fear me for a good reason! :D

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had the hankering for either a new Winchester 1895 in .405 or an 1886 extra lite in .45-70.

Reactions: MS 9x56

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
First thing I’d look at would be a Browning BLR; no contest.

If I couldn’t get a chambering or configuration from them that suited my needs, I’d look around. Does a Ruger No. 1 or a Browning or Winchester falling block count as a ‘lever’ action? :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hung around GB for years looking for a BLR in 257 Roberts I could afford, but now that the new ammo is out for the 25-35 I have my ultimate deer rifle--times 3, once the 'smith gets the bluing done on my new-barreled Martini Cadet. The other two are a Winchester deluxe 26" Model 94, and an old shot-out Savage Imp--the 22 Hipower--rebored to 25-35. Still have a 30-30, and a 32WS, but the 25's get much more carry time. Might be less this season than the 243/410, though.
windy

·
Registered
Booming since late 50s
15 Posts
Just bought a 375, but, in truth, prefer single shot Ruger Ones.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Todays and the older 336 Marlins are all good rifles. I prefer the 30-30 to the 45-70 under any conditions for deer and black bear..even on elk, and Ive seen both used and Ive used both..Not a 45-70 fan..I know its the holy grail buy some, and they usually have very little real experience with the punkin roller..

·
Registered
137 Posts
If money is no object a Turnbull restored Winchester 1886 in 45-70. Or a Savage 99 in 358 win.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

i would luv to have one

·
Registered
61 Posts
If and when I buy another Lever Action,it will be the Dark Series model,I haven't made up my mind about the caliber.

·
Registered
92 Posts
WOW! Just read the whole thread, but my comments will be short.!
I agree with person that said to AVOID THE BIG BOOMERS unless YOU PLAN TO HUNT GAME THAT REQUIRES THEM. PERIOD.

Then get serious about needing a deer gun, pickup gun, canoe gun, trapline gun, etc. and buy a light pistol caliber or 30-30.

What did I do?
I was going to hunt DG and load up high power ammo, so I went with the plain Miroku Winchester 1886 TD 45-90 with octagon 26 inch barrel. Heavy, but the weight does reduce the recoil of 300 grain bullets at 2200 - 2600 fps and Kodiak FMJ 450 grain bullets at 2150 fps. The rifle performed well in Africa, taking ele(with NF and Punch solids), cape buff with Kodiaks, and leopard very cleanly with 300 grain Nosler PP. Also shot through American Bison with Kodiaks.

PS I already had a M1892 .357, an 1895 in .405 WCF, and some .22 lever actions, so it was Go Big or Go Home!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've bought three in the last month. I bought a Marlin 1894CB45, Marlin 1894CB44 and a Uberti 1973 45 Colt. I buy Marlin though mainly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also looking for a Uberti 1876 in 50/95. Leaning toward the Presidio model with the 20" barrel with button mag.

·
Registered
677 Posts
unless you need it to be a traditional style lever rifle, in traditional calibers... the Browning BLR is an Awesome lever rifle.
Magazine fed, 308 Win, 7mm-08 (and many other caliber options). mine is very fast on target and light. And lets be honest, inside 300 yards it is more than enough for all NA game animals. (to stop a pissed off Brown or Moose... sure a larger caliber would be nice, but hunting, a 308 Win is more than enough.)

Reactions: WinMike

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Old thread, I realize. But the good news is that Ruger acquired Marlin from the Remington bankruptcy. I have had a number of Marlins (pre Rem) and they were great guns...slicked up easily.

Imho, the new Henrys are gorgeous, but for me I'd snap up a Savage 99 in 308...or better...358. Spitzer compatible.

Then there's the new Miruku Win 95's in 30-40 Krag. Excellent round for most NA hunts.

No real bad choices anymore. Even a 30-30 has its uses.😝

·
Registered
677 Posts
No real bad choices anymore. Even a 30-30 has its uses.😝
I still love my 30-30, Model 94, i just wish i used it more often.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought a Uberti 1876 Texas Ranger Presidio short rifle in 50/95wcf. I'm sure the holidays will slow things up for delivery.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts