Shooters Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Todays and the older 336 Marlins are all good rifles. I prefer the 30-30 to the 45-70 under any conditions for deer and black bear..even on elk, and Ive seen both used and Ive used both..Not a 45-70 fan..I know its the holy grail buy some, and they usually have very little real experience with the punkin roller..
Maybe with typical factory loads, but my 1895 propels a bullet about 2.5 times as heavy, to nearly the same velocity, as my 30-30 336. Under any conditions, it is a superior performer on elk, especially with bullets of similar construction.

·
Registered
113 Posts
At least, a pre 64 winchester

·
Registered
894 Posts
speaking of the 44-40 the bp loads ive seen are [email protected] which i think are from a pistol barrel but the loads Ive seen for smokeless they are alot weaker . Why are the 44-40 cowboy loads weaker than the bp load ?

200grs @ 1200 fps is basically a 10mm auto right ?
If so that makes the 44-40 quite a bit more powerful than the 45 lc
You're not going to get 1200 fps with black powder and a 200 gr bullet out of a revolver; more like 900 to 1000 fps, depending on barrel length. So, no, the 44-40 is not significantly more powerful (if at all) than the 45 Colt. There's a reason smokeless loads are weaker: A first generation Colt SAA 44-40, like mine, is safe with stout BP loads, but NOT with smokeless loads. Smokeless cartridges produce higher peak pressures with similar velocities, so loading modern powders to match black powder performance can prove fatal to your heirloom. Keeping smokeless peak pressures to BP levels reduces the potential of blowing up old guns, should people insist on using smokeless in guns not designed for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted a pre 64 Win 1894 but older ones in good shape were too much $$ so I bought a Uberti 1894 and it shoots great and looks even better. Cycles great but I want to slick it up a bit. 24 inch Oct barrel case hardend reciver and lever in 30-30. Very nice rifle.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Always nice to see a bunch of enthisiastic lever gun afficianadoes! I already own lever guns from Savage, Winchester, Henry and Marlin. So, I guess I'm not surprised that I clicked on "Buy Now" last night and grabbed a Mossberg 464 30-30 all weather with laminate stocks and 16" barrel. A rifle I'd seen online a few times and sorta intrigued me with that nice handy short barrel. I think it'll work just fine for the typically short range shots my Kentucky lease normally presents. I think I'll top it with a nice, compact Weaver 1-3x20.

Looks like this:

wm_15011427.jpg

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I sure had a devil of a time finding suitable bases for it. After searching typical places for a couple of hours with no luck, I found some Warne bases at..... Ready?
Amazon... lol.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
If or I should say when I get another lever rifle I think I'll be looking at a 38-55. I have brass and dies with no rifle. Can't have that combination laying around.
I'm sure that you'd enjoy one.

My 38-55 is actually a Marlin .375. After reading the reviews and information about the +P load that BB makes for the 38-55 that's also suitable for any rifle chambered in .375 Win, I tried some.

I think that it's likely the most potent commercial loading available for the 38-55 or 375 and I like the heavy 255gr bullet it uses which is, I believe, a traditional 38-55 bullet weight. 255gr JFN @ 1950 is a good load!

I have to admit, however, it's tough to snatch my .444P out of my mitts to put the .375/38-55 in them. 😁

Reactions: 7MMRLC
81 - 91 of 91 Posts