Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have that ONE special lever gun that has proven itself over and over again? I mean one that if you were under life threatening circumstances (confronted by a bear, mad moose, or any other large and potentially dangerous beasts in North America), that you would not feel one bit undergunned? If so, please tell us what caliber it is, the make , and what makes it so special?

Kindest regards to all of you,
Timberwolf :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
TimberWolf, it would have to be my 45/70 Marlin 1895 (22"bbl) that has been ported and has the Ashley Ghost Ring sights, with a 405gr gc hard cast that I rolled my self. Anything short of a runaway Semi or Fright train would not fare well.If it walks on 4 legs or 2 legs its chance of getting me is not very good. :D

Gun Runner

·
Banned
48 Posts
gun runner,
This is off the thread topic, but can you tell me how much difference the porting makes on the 22" Marlin? Also, who did the porting ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Both of the 45-70 that I have own have never malfuctioned but I also never hunted large dangerous game in North America. Those were a Marlin 1895 (c.1975) and a Browning 1886 carbine. Also never had a problem with a Browning 1895 in 30-06, Marlin 1894 in 41mag or a Winchester 1894 (early 1940) in 30WCF.

The times I have felt undergunned was with an XM16E1 with blanks against African elephants! Also felt underguned against loin, cape buffalo, rhino and leapeod with a Beretta 92 with 9mm ball. Felt confortable with a M14 with 7.62 ball though in Africa. But those are all autos on another continent.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Would have to be my 86 in 33wcf shot a black bear that surprised me at three feet,put two rounds in the head before it hit the ground,that action is sooooooooo slick it works itself

Diver what unit? spent some time with the 5th and the 3rd of the 8th

·
Banned
145 Posts
I hate to admit it but my "go to" gun is not a lever action. I lean on an old Savage 110 in 30-06 anytime I have a serious need for an accurate & reliable rifle. With the 180s and 220s I would feel comfortable going up against anything in the U. S. short of a rabid grizz at short range. For that kind of encounter I think my 12 ga. Mdl 37 with slugs and 00 buck would be my pick.

Reb

·
Registered
516 Posts
Marlin 1895G; 45-70 - Wild West trigger, WW ejector, Dave Clay med. loop lever - I'd carry it anywhere - including South Central L.A. !

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
leadbutt, check your inbox.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'd have to go with my '86 45-90. A max loaded Hornady 350 RN will cover any situation a fella could find himself in. Heck, the nearly three inch long cartridge even intimidates me.

·
Banned
5 Posts
1895gs with atleast buffolo bore amo if not some garrett hamer heads...

i hand polished the action my self as well as smothed the triger

·
Registered
47 Posts
Winchester Model 71, .348 Winchester, 250 grain bullet. The smoothest lever action ever, very reliable. The .348 permanently anchors anything hit with it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Marlin 1895GS ported with Pachmeyer pre-fit Decelerator pad, DRC Glove Loop Lever, WWG Bear Proof Extractor and Williams Firesights.

Loaded with the BTB 405 grn LFN/GC or the 425 grn WLN/GC.

Now all I have to do to be ready to blast the meanest beast on the planet with this combo is get the money around to get it out of layaway. Oh yeah, and then pay for the accesories to make all the above described modifications.

Oh well, guess it's all right to dream a little. You guys won't hold it against me for that, will ya?:eek:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a cabin in British Columbia, in grizzly and black bear country. An occasional lynx or wolf trots by, much to my admiration.
For years, I've brought my stock 1895 Marlin in .45-70 up there, as a cabin gun. Also brought up a 12 gauge pump at times, because cabin owners around the lake have a big celebration with a trapshoot each summer.
For bear, I'd bring the 400 gr. jacketed Speer bullet over 50.0 grains of IMR3031. For plinking rounds, I used the same bullet but loaded to about 1,200 fps (a kid would express an interest in shooting the big "elephant gun" on occasion, so I'd use the lighter loads for that).
The only modification I've made to my Marlin was to put a Williams peep sight on the receiver, then remove the target apeture for a "ghost ring" effect.
I sight my rifle in at 25 yards with the hot loads. I figure, if a bear is farther away than that I can retreat.
Which segues into my next point:
There is this dangerous assertion among many people to hold their ground and fire away.
Balderdash!
When it comes to a large predator like a bear, take any opportunity to retreat. Bears don't understand macho posturing, but they DO understand that you're challenging their authority and territory.
My late father always told us, "If a bear comes in the cabin, go out the windows. There's nothing in this cabin worth your life."
And he's right. If an angry or hungry bear comes through the door, he can HAVE the cabin.
We always parked our vehicles behind the cabin and left the keys in them, ready to go. I used to keep the .45-70 in the cabin, and the 12 gauge in the pickup with some slugs and buckshot handy, so you had a firearm in whichever safety you took.
I've never had a close bear call. I've had neighbors near my cabin have them, though. One guy stopped a black bear in the living room of his cabin with two shots from a .303! The black bear had torn off the screened porch door and his cabin door, to get to the food he smelled.
People will tell you that black bears are relatively benign. And that's true 99 percent of the time. But just like Man, animals can suffer from insanity and NO therapist can help them.
However, I have a greater trust in four-legged predators than I do in two-legged predators.
And that was another reason I brought a gun to the cabin each year.
Back in the days of the Hippies, a bunch of them in a VW bus showed up at the cabin of a neighbor, one afternoon. They said they were hungry and wanted to be fed.
The neighbor replied that he had some wood stacked over yonder that needed splitting.
"You here by yourself?" the hippies said, moving closer.
Reaching behind the door, Corey produced a .303 and said, "Yep, me and my .303!"
Then he fired a round at the ground between their feet.
"Boy, you should have seen those Hippies run!" Corey laughed about it later, telling us the story.
A funny story.
But it could have been a tragic one if he hadn't had the rifle handy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gatofeo-

Very sound advice! I'm sure your Father was speaking from experience; either his or somebody else's! Sounds to me like he was a wise man.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I see most votes for a 45-70. What about a 444 Marlin. While I have never killed anything with it yet it feels like a very capeable load. And how about a 450 Winchester? I hear its meaner than both of them, but I have no experience with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts