Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with a cva optima.Went hunting this week.Gun had been loaded with 2 pellets of 777,power belt bullet and using trip.7 209 primer.Shot at a deer made a short crack sound but no kick.not much smoke.pushed powder and bullet out.next day took to the range shot fine.reloaded.2 days later shot at a deer same thing.Both times gun was left loaded in truck for 2 days in a hard case.Could powder have gotten condensation that fast?it's been 10 to 30 degrees here in Iowa.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Pellets are very finicky at times. I would guess that with the cold weather, even being put in a truck the powder drew moisture. Inside of vehicles can be a very damp place. Especially if you drag snow into them on your boots and run the heater at all in the truck. Have you ever got in your truck and noticed the inside of the windshields all frosted up? The same would happen in your barrel.

I would push the pellets and projectile out at the end of the day if you get no shot. Or you can pick out a spot and shoot it out. But anyway, push the powder and projectile out and save that for a range day. Then take an alcohol patch and swab the bore area. Then a dry patch. You could even run a light oil patch through the barrel as well if you really want protection. Then, before you start your hunting the next day, patch the barrel with a dry patch and then load it.

What you are doing is taking the moisture factor out of the equation. You are basically starting each day with a clean dry rifle. Years ago when we hunted with traditional rifle, we would shoot them off and then patch them clean for the next day. With these inlines and the fact you can pull the breech plug, it is so easy to reload them clean the next day.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If you do decide to unload the rifle, you can bring the rifle into the house with you. If you have pushed the load out, and patched it dry. And lets say, oiled the bore, what I do is I do not put the breech plug back in them until I am ready to load them the next day. Also I put the rifle in a corner, muzzle end down on some soft cloth. That way any oil or moisture that might form will run down the barrel and out the muzzle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pyrodex pellets have a blackpowder igniter on one end. When Pyrodex pellets are loaded with the igniter end down they ignite very easily. 777 pellets do not have an igniter and they are much harder to ignite.

Recommend switching to Pyrodex pellets or granular 777 and a Winchester shotgun primer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts