Shooters Forum banner

I'll stick with my .300 Winchester Magnum

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Chief RID 
#1 ·
I have to say with all of the Ultra this, and short that, I will stick with my .300 Win mag, it is an ugly zytel stocked stainless Ruger M77MKII with a matte leupold vari XIII in 2.5x8x36. It is my own death ray, and fills me with the utmost in confidence no matter what game I am pursuing. I know this picture stinks, but it is my first grizzly, taken last week.

#2 ·
Hey, confidence counts for a lot! Congratulations on your bear. Where did you get it? What kind of load did you use? Tell us all about it!! IDShooter

#3 ·
Bear is from unit 13, in the heart of the Alaska Range, in particular near Castner Glacier. I was shooting a load consisting of a max charge of IMR7828, Winchester brass, CCI LR magnum primers pushing a Speer Grandslam of 180gr. My rifle really seems to love loads that are either maximum, or very close. I checked all of my reloads at the range for feed, and ejecting reliablity. Load groups 5 shots into .95 inch from the bench at 100yds, and 1.3 @200yards, I think I just focus more on the longer shots. Shot the bear 4 times, he was slammed to the ground with each hit, both shoulders, and lungs were gone, bullets all exited, and fortunately didn't make holes much bigger than a quarter on the hide, but tissue damage was incredible. Partner said he could see the splash from my bullets on the embankment behind the bear at each shot. Bear was one tough customer, with no lungs, and no shoulder, it took a hit from my partners 30-30 for the coup de grace, he shot twice connected once, bullet didn't exit 170gr Nosler made it to the far rib cage. Bear was really dead after first shot, just didn't want to look for him. All 4 of my shots landed in a 3" circle, not bad for a moving target at 82 yards. First shot was a somewhat quartering towards me hit to the near shoulder exiting at the rear of the far rib cage, next 2 were broadside through both shoulders, last one was quartering away slightly. All over in less than a minute, more like 30 seconds, don't think I have ever fired 4 shots from a bolt action in such a short time. That it is it in a nutshell.

#9 ·
Congrat, and thanks also for the load information. It sounds like that Speer GS bullet really did the job. You never know whether to believe the marketing hype till you get a good report from the field.

I take it that your buddy was backing you up with his 30-30!?!?!? He's got a lot of confidence, I'll say!

I know what you mean about not wanting to look for one. Same deal with wild hogs, I try to shoot them in the head.

The .30-30 load sounds interesting also, if it would penetrate the chest cavity of a bear, it still sounds like a pretty good load for a .30-30 (still, I'd hate to have to bring down one that was mad with the .30-30!!).

All in all, nice story, sounds like a good hunt, congrats again.

#12 ·
Joel,
Thanks for posting the picture, I have one more good one if your services are available I'll send it to you. As for the 30-30, he sure does have a lot of confidence in it, he killed a moose with it the week before, and last year he killed 2 caribou, one a really nice bull, one at 254 laser range fider yards, the other at 218 yards, the longer one was a spine shot, so it dropped like a ton of bricks, all were the Nosler 170gr FN Partition, and I am not sure what powder. He is looking into having it Ackley improved. By the way he shoots a Williams aperture and post front, and left his stainless guide gun in the jeep, said it was too heavy for the hike we had to make, it must be the scope.

Dave

#20 ·
Beeman,

Jack Monteith posted this site, http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm .I downloaded it and use it to reduce pictures. I'll right click on a picture, scroll to open with, then choose Irfan. Then I go to image at the top task bar once I've got it open, then I scroll down to Resize/Resample. I set the size to inches and DPI to 100. Make sure preserve size ratio is clicked, then I make the width 5 inches. Then go back up to the task bar click on file, scroll down and save your picture. Works great and the size stays under 100kb.

#21 ·
WOW

WOW!!

This thread has really made me appreciate this chat room, and the Net in general. Wonderful, true life stories, complete with pictures and expert commentary...

The apology for an ugly 300 Win Mag is not necessary. My most beloved things are ugly, and they get the job done. Its all about natural selection...we try this gizmo and that gadget but the keepers go into the field with us because they WORK. This gives us confidence, so we even work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.