Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I cast about 10 lbs of lead into 350 200 grain .44 rnfps. I water quenched. And then I did what no one should do in our hobby. I hurried. I was tired of pan lubing my bullets and all these were destined for my .44 Special with mile loads. So, I figure, I'll use Lee Liquid Alox. I hadn't used the stuff for ages but remembered that if you wanted a lighter coat, you just added liquid. I had drained the bullets but some water remained on them. Being a man, I didn't bother to go back and read the instructions. Of course, the liquid was supposed to be paint thinner, not water. But I was in a hurry.

I drizzle the Alox on the batch and begin to stir, and stir, and to my amazement, the Alox turns brown, then light tan. I'd managed to make an emulsion.. I realized, I'm a nit-wit.

But I'd used half the bottle. The emulsion actually looked like a pretty good lube for my black powder applications. So I set them up to dry.

Of course, I realized after a couple of days that they were drying like meringue dries. In fact, it didn't really dry at all. And there were globs of the stuff all over the nose. It had to come off. But it had dried long enough I couldn't just wipe it off. I realized, I'm a double down nit-wit.

Finally, I bite the bullet and take out some hot water, some detergent, and a brush and clean them all. They are now drying but I know what they are wondering. What will this nit-wit do next?

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dont'cha just hate it, when ya do these things!:cool:

Hey, guy,.... been there, done that, you're not alone!!

I'll bet you won't do that again!!!😆

Reactions: BearBear

·
Registered
958 Posts
Once again it's proved that reading the instructions is not in the male DNA.
Glad I'm not alone;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm going to pass along some wisdom from my dear departed mother , raised dirt poor in East Texas during the 1930's depression. They was so poor they made their own soap .
I would do something like you did and she would look at me and say ... " Boy , when you going to learn ... Haste Makes Waste !"

Second bit of advice ...stop water quenching your bullets ... not necessary and a waste of good time . Fit of bullet is way more important than hardness .
44 Special bullets ... you don't want hard .

Gary

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gary,

My mom was also raised in East Texas in the 30's and they made their own soap and boiled the laundry in the back yard --- and begged soup bones from the butcher for their "dog." I think she might've said, "Pay attention" a time or two but I don't remember what she was talking about. Maybe it was haste makes waste.

I water quench from habit more than anything. I usually use the bullets for .44 mag. Also, I often don't have the room to air cool on towels and the bucket is handy. I've never had leading in my Special in any case. Oh, I know what Mom was saying now. You wouldn't need excuses if you did things right in the first place. :😊

Reactions: shooter444
1 - 6 of 6 Posts