Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
馃槈 馃槈 馃槈

after alot of sanding, wood filler, more sanding, OOOO steel wool,minwax antique oil, rottenstone with 3 in 1 oil and johnson's paste wax on a richard's black walnut grade fancy wolverine 98 mauser stock, it is finished!!!!!! i did ok, it was first time i ever had the un-sanded stock. i learned alot of NOT what to do!!!!!:eek: the next un-sanded stock will be a 93 spanish mauser Apache gold wolverine stock.

i know where the mishaps are, but all in all, i go from a bad stock(water damage, bent to the left on rifle channel...) to a good one.

you want to know somethin' funny? i have never shot it!!!!!! i have the reloading dies and the brass, but not the boolits!!!! go figure.............

Registered
The only problem with finishing a stock like that is now its to nice to knock around in the woods-great job!!!

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
Richards Microfit stocks are beautifully figured and "98%" finished. Last Swede Mod 38 I did for my grandson's 12th birthday took most of a couple months removing the "02%" excess exterior wood, inletting and bedding plus finishing. It was a work of love for the youngster and he prides it to this day, 10 years later. Lots of work on their stocks, but the end result is well worth it - if you have the time and don't mind a little effort.
Nice job, Tdoyka.

Reactions: gwpercle and tdoyka

The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
Great job!

Reactions: tdoyka

Registered
Third time's the charm ...by the time you do your third stock you will have figured out what works , what doesn't work and which U-Tuber experts were idiot's .
Hang in there ... good stock finishers are made through lots of hard work and experience !
Your 98 Mauser is right Handsome ... ATTABOY !
Be proud ... I bet the model 93 will be a looker too , I want to see a report on it when you get done .
Gary

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the 93 Spanish mauser is going to a couple/several months. the guard screw holes are line up but the bolt stop assembly and the bolt action needs alot of chiseling.

Registered
Very nice. I did a Richards on a Howa 308 last year. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated, but you feel good when you are done.

What caliber is your rifle?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice. I did a Richards on a Howa 308 last year. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated, but you feel good when you are done.

What caliber is your rifle?

i have a 8x57 and yes, it took a little longer but i feel good!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts