Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting the hang of this. Keep my focus on the front sight and relax. I never could understand how anyone could judge a load for accuracy off hand and not from the bench but as I started practicing off hand things fell in place. Off the bench I struggled for groups, tried many loads and changed everything I could. I questioned the gun, the sights, the rest. I shot lead and jacketed, magnum and reg primers, different brass and 4 different powders.

The main thing is I shot and shot and shot and all along my failure turned into my teacher. I started shooting off hand at three targets at 30 20 and 10 yds. Farthest first to closest last. I stilll miss the 8 X 11 paper targets some and it is not always the 30 yd one but I am getting better and it is fun. Now I load to shoot not to improve my accuracy. I shoot only lead now and my barrel leads very little because of all the cleaning and jacketed bullets I shot. It will never see another jacketed bullet and one day I may even buy some BTBs. The 16 brn Mid- Kansas are OK for now but I wish I could find a softer one locally that is cheap for some light practice loads. My supplier has quit.

I shoot every weekend and it is more fun than I deserve. Thanks for all you guys help. I would not have stayed with it without your knowledge and support.

I have graduated to a new level. I don't know what it is ,but I like it.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Hey Chief! Congratulations! I'm glad you've hung in there. Just when I thought I was figuring it out a little bit I got a new gun (GP-100) and it's like I'm almost back to square one. I still don't know how good it shoots!
    At least with my .44 I know what the gun will do, it's just up to me to shoot it right.
     Keep at it, and once again congratulations.
                              IDShooter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congratulations on getting better.  It takes work to do that.  However, if you really want to learn to shoot, take up bullseye shooting.  Those are the guy and gals that have quietly kept shooting over the last 100+ years with one hand and watched their scores gradually improve.  Not because of technology, but technique.  If you want the education, try bullseyepistol.com, sign onto the chat group and watch how they, old and young, strive to raise their scores.  Amazing!  And its a lot more fun than I used to think (watching paint dry, etc.).

dclark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts