Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this one and a few more on another board, found this and am at it again. This bear was 16 years old, had been in a study and was tattoed with a number in 1989.Killed on May 20th 2002. His hide was 7' 10'' and the skull is 24 1/16 B&C. Killed with a .243, three shots. Not the gun of choice but the stock broke on the .338 and the wolf gun doubled as the bear gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bigger photo's

This bear was killed with a .300 Weatherby Mark V and a nosler 180 grain partition.He came out of the Bonanza River on the Seward Peninsula. He was the 7th bear of the day and we killed him at about midnight. The hide is 7'9" and the skull was 23 6/16.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another Arctic Grizzly

Here is a poor photo of a good bear. He also came out of the Bonanza River, was killed with a .300 Winchester and was an April bear. Hide was 7'11" and the skull is 25 5/16 Boone and Crockett.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That guy looks mighty familiar to me...seems to me he bears a striking resemblance to my bear guide;)

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Grizzly,
Great photos!!!

Lordy mercy, you ain't the person in the moose photos lying down in the rack are you?

You and JoelB kinfolk? I'm truly sorry!!! :D

·
Banned
68 Posts
Sorry GK but I can't seem to see a smile on the grizzley's face. I love my guns but I never did see any pleasure in killin God's greatest creatures.

Let's have some grizzly pic's in full splender (alive !!!)

·
Banned
68 Posts
I guess you missed my point; I shoot 300WM, 340W, 375H&H, 404 Jeff, 500Nitro but I don't have to go out killin such magnificent creatures to get it off !!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Guns are just tools for me. Just as hammers drive nails, and wrenches turn bolts. I like them, but I like hunting better. It isn't some sort of "mystical" thing for me either. I just like being out there and hunting. If it bothers you, thats all right with me. I'm not on a crusade to convert people to come along to my way of thinking. However I kinda agree with Ted Nugent on this one, I think most folks would be better off if they would provide their own meat, rather than have somebody else do their killing.

This bear will go into the "book" as top 50 of all time...

·
Banned
68 Posts
Do you eat the BEAR!!!!

I don't pay others to do my killin. I do hunt and kill and use the skins and meat.

I've been a conservationist since age 11, after I came upon an eagle in the wild that was caught by 2 toes in a dog trap. After about 30 mins of calm introductions that wild animal let me free him without biting or trying to grab me with the free talon. As an 11 year old kid I was on a such a high that it could only be felt, but not put into words.

I watched him fly off, circle and fly back toward me about 20 feet over my head. I could have blasted him from the sky or whilst caught in the trap and taken some feathers for my hat.

That was nearly 50 years ago, but something changed for me that day, the realisation that maybe, just maybe that all animals think and feel as we do.

Thus I pose the question to all hunters, "What pleasure was there for the magnificent bear"

·
Registered
282 Posts
Strange...I spose the same as the chicken feels as its head is whacked off before it becomes Colonel Sanders. Or the same as the steer feels before it becomes a MacDonalds hamburger. If hunting bothers you so bad, why do you visit this site?

This was my first bear...

·
Banned
68 Posts
I don't have a problem with hunting; if I shoot a wild cat, that act of shooting has purpose. I am preventing that animal from destroying native fauna so that in the future my grandchildren will be able to hear native birds singing in the trees. "The act of shooting the cat has purpose and a future outcome."
If I shoot a rabbit and eat it; the act has purpose (food) and a future outcome (my preservation).
Which brings us back to the bears; do you eat them?????

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nope. State of Alaska doesn't require me to. I wouldn't eat one anyway. I would eat Black bear, but not Grizzly. Nope. I hunt them for the pure sport of it. I take the skull and the hide. The rest is left for the Ravens, Wolverines, other Bears, Wolves and other scavengers. And that doesn't bother me at all. In fact I'm going back up this coming spring to shoot another. Some of the natives eat them, I wouldn't. But see, I don't have to justify why I hunt. Nor do I care what others think about it. I wouldn't hunt an endangered species, but the Seward Grizzlys are over populated right now. In fact the State increased the bag limit to one a year to cut the population down. So I feel it's my duty to do the best I can to help them.:) And I will do just that:eek: (I guess I just justified why I hunt them!) It's to bad you can't give it a try, there is nothing like it. The best hunting I've ever had. The way they look at you, they aren't afraid of man like deer are. I suppose it would be like hunting the Big 5 in Africa, which I'd also would like to do. Especially Cape Buffalo.

My second bear...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Some great pictures you got there, I would like to be you someday, great shooting:) As for the conservationist, you must know these hunts are regulated and are very costly, This man deserves the right to tag one of these beast, Don't worry about animal numbers they are all controlled bye F&G I am sure your aware of this, Griz/browns meat is terrible and most people don't eat it, you might find a few Eskimos around there that will, **** most animals won't eat it either,maybe a wolverine or some birds;) for the most part the pelt is taken and claws, out of the bear family the black bear is the desirable meat to eat. I would love the opportunity to hunt one of those big bears for sure. I eat, sleep ,live hunting. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Before we get too carried away here, I think there are a few points that must be considered.
1. Hunting is the most effective and efficient population management available to most Fish and Game offices. Alaska is no different. Though some folks do not appreciate the killing of predatory species for pelts or hides, they do need to be managed.

2. In most parts of Alaska, if bear populations are not maintained a certain level, they do reek havoc on the other animal populations. The once thriving moose pop. in the Nellie Juan drainage has recently been reduced down to 8 animals total. ADF&G's final report was that heavy bear predation was the cause. This was part of a special GMU that has been closed to hunting for years. This would be fine if we want to manage game by seeing the population boom and bust cycles that mother nature uses to control game. Most prefer to have some type of predator management instead of population explosions then starvations, though that is effective, too.

3. Contrary to popular belief, Grizzly/Brown bear meat is good IF taken when the bear has been feeding on berries or other vegetation. Not worth a hoot if it's been feeding on salmon or carrion. I've had Brown Bear roasts that would put beef to shame.

4. I have no problem in using sport hunting as a management tool. Just like more traditional "edible" game, predatory species are part of the ecology of any area and must be controlled too, if others are to survive. This would include, coyotes, wolves, cougars, bears, you name it.

Eric, I have put a few live bear pictures in "My Neck of the Woods" forum here at Beartooth. Check those out, some really neat photos of bears being bears. These hunting forums are more than likely to include game killed by hunters.

Joel and Grizzly Killer,
Those are great looking bears.

No offense was intended, I hope none is taken.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grizzly Bear's, to whack 'em, or not

Wally, you shoot a cat or rabbit and that is hunting, but I shoot a grizzly bear and I am killing GODS Greatest creatures? You define hunting by what you think is acceptable game in your realm of things, and take offense at what I think is acceptable. Your opinion is your's, your event with the eagle memorable, surprised you didn't lose an eye. Your unhappiness seems to come from the fact I don't eat bear meat. I said I was the Grizzlykiller. Not the Grizzlyeater.What I am doing is following the letter of the law in hunting what you bet your *** is a magnificent animal, the Arctic Grizzly Bear. Your welcome to shoot all the kangaroos in your section, I wouldn't hold it against you, as long you were engaged in a legal and managed hunt. I would'nt expect you to eat the prize, and I know I would'nt. I dont' know where the line blurs from game animal to mojo animal but apparently you have a grasp on it. Good for you, don't stand in judgement of others.Your requirement that the meat be consumed to complete the circle is your vision and good for you. If your that riled over it, book a bear hunt and go kill one. You will be a changed man. Your image of magnificent will be redefined. If not, enjoy my photo's.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Griz - you are certainly entitled to your opinions, but please be polite. I'm sure that you intended to be, but the written word can be interpreted in many ways, not all of them good, so it pays to be cautious so that differences of opinion aren't interpreted as a personal attack.

Thank you for sharing your photos with us, some truely impressive critters. Can't imagine what it is like to hunt a beast that could swat you into mush in the blink of an eye. Closest we get in TX are wild pigs, which NOBODY considers cute or cuddly or magnificent, at least not other hunters! But they can bite you.

Eric, your opinions are certainly valid as well, if you ask the question 'why' you'll get a lot of interesting answers, as you can see. By the way, the hunter soon learns that nothing is wasted in nature. If you don't eat it, it is food for something else, some other creature that might not otherwise survive.

Personally I like to eat what I kill but that isn't always practical, for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You'll know if your grizzly is fit to eat the minute you start skinning him, mine stunk to the high heavens, but a friend of mine took one in Delta that tasted better than any moose I've eaten, it fed on grain and alfalfa. Joel, some real pretty bears, I like the grizzlies much better than the browns, not that I wouldn't go hunting for them, just my preference is the interior bears.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts