Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally did my first actual group testing with it today. Just had one handload to try. It was a sunny, calm day so I figured what the hay.

My 3 shot group, center to center was 0.477". The load was 85gr of RL22, with a 180gr Hornady Interlock set at 3.58" OAL.

I'm VERY happy, considering this is the first handload I have tried in it.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,522 Posts
What'd I tell ya kid! good group.

RJ

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it shows real promise ! This was from a clean cold bore ! Shots 1 and 2 are the ones touching. The clarity on the Zeiss scope is unbelievable, I love it.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Very nice! I'd be happy with that load. RL22 is a great powder in my '06 based cases, RL25 works well in my 7RUM, but Retumbo was a little more accurate last time out, I'll have to wait until it warms up a bit though to do more testing, its -11 right now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
180 Bergers is what we will be using right off the bat. My father is the reloader and he swears by Bergers. I can't wait for him to start load R&D on my Sendero. He will be using the same bullet for his 300WM.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Very nice! I'd be happy with that load. RL22 is a great powder in my '06 based cases, RL25 works well in my 7RUM, but Retumbo was a little more accurate last time out, I'll have to wait until it warms up a bit though to do more testing, its -11 right now.
Matt, I have Retumbo on hand, I was just using these loads as kind of a break in I guess. Nosler says the load I was using is running 3146 fps. So I have it idling along at a Win Mag's top end speed. I'm using Fed 215 primers in it as well.

Osprey, my Bergers are the 210 VLD's.

Left to right: 180 Interlock, 200 Gameking, 210 Berger

·
Registered
409 Posts
Tang, I have a feeling the larger weight bullets will be more accurate in the 300 RUM just by my brief expirience shooting factory stuff. The 180's in Rem ammo was not grouping as well as the level III in a heavier bullet.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Goal is to get the 210 VLD upwards of 3100fps and get some accuracy out of it. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
THAT is a nice group! Especially for the very first load. RL19 does well in my 30-06. I've only tried one load with RL22, maybe I should work on that powder a little more...

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I've been very happy with RL22, I need to get a 5lb jug to keep all my guns happy.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RL22 also does well in my 7mm Rem Mag and my .300 Win Mag. But for the RUM to move the larger bullets, you really need RL25, H1000 or Retumbo.

·
11,522 Posts
I'm like Matt, it's to cold ere to actually "enjoy" testing new loads. RL25 and 180 grain Accubonds and/or Swift ScirrocoII's will be tested as soon as weather permits. I really want to get my hands on some 200 grain Accubonds!!

Are the Berger VLD's stout enough to be used as a huntign bullet or are they just a target bullet.

RJ

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
well recoil junky you got to remember the young mans got a new gun..
i couldn t resist even now an im 62..:)
congrats tang..you have a keeper ,it looks like.
have a good time with it..slim

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm like Matt, it's to cold ere to actually "enjoy" testing new loads. RL25 and 180 grain Accubonds and/or Swift ScirrocoII's will be tested as soon as weather permits. I really want to get my hands on some 200 grain Accubonds!!

Are the Berger VLD's stout enough to be used as a huntign bullet or are they just a target bullet.

RJ

RJ, we will sure find out. When I get those Bergers up to around 3100fps and get them to one holeing 3 to 5 shot groups, then it will be ready for hunting ! What I find funny, is most people would be happy with my "junk" handload as far as hunting goes. A 180gr bullet at 3100ish is plenty of killing, but thats not why I have an Ultra Mag is it ? :D ;)

·
11,522 Posts
No, that's not why I have one either :D:rolleyes::cool:;):eek:

While I was trying to get as much speed as possible, while being as accurate as possible I learned that having both at the same time may not be achievable. Sometimes yes, most of the time no. But having a rifle that will make a 180 grain bullet go 3274 fps into a dime size group is ok.

RJ

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know what you mean. In reality, I'd like to have the 210's going atleast 3000 and be accurate. Depending on accuracy, I may go back to the 180's. But I too want to try the 200 Accubonds.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Tang, I had a very similar experience as you. I loaded some 180 grain Accubonds with 80 grains of IMR 4350. Second shot touched the first, third shot appeared to completely miss the target until I looked real close. Third shot actually went through first hole and slightly enlarged it. Thought I might be mistaken so I tried again, dime size cloverleaf. 3050 fps without too much recoil, I see no point in looking for another load for hunting purposes. The 300 RUM is truly inherently accurate.

I actually bought mine to build a 257 STW. I'll have to find one that don't shoot so good.

Good luck and happy hunting with the Sendero. Keep us posted on what works for you.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great shooting Tang. Those 210gr Bergers sure look long and lean. I bet they would be dynamite on deer. I would think the 200gr Accubonds would be a sure thing for bigger game. Not sure though, alot of folks really like the Bergers, so I may have to give them a try some time. Scotty

1 - 20 of 50 Posts