Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a limited supply left of my favorite H4227 for heavy .44 cast loads, I'll be forced to switch to the IMR variant. Has anyone chrono tested the two grain for grain in non-top loads?

·
Registered
555 Posts
They are not the same powder so there is no consistent grain-for-grain difference. In some loads they are very close, in others they are pretty far apart - over 10%. You can see this in the published data. You'll have to develop your loads over again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are not the same powder so there is no consistent grain-for-grain difference. In some loads they are very close, in others they are pretty far apart - over 10%. You can see this in the published data. You'll have to develop your loads over again.

I do realize the burn rates are slightly different. I just hate to redo all the load development I've done on many cast loads over the past. I've always preferred H4227 over the ball powders. Looks as if I'm getting out the chrono & tripod.:(

·
Registered
278 Posts
i do not know if he would ship powder, but here is his address and phone. i think he has a web site.
sir jim's hobby
401 s. dewey st.
north platte, ne 69101
308 534-3225.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts