Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Anyone out there have any experience with IMR 4320 and cast bullets for the 358 Win? Just wondering as I have seen very little positive feedback, accuracy wise, regarding this powder/bullet combo. I guess every gun is different, but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or good results. You often see IMR 4350 and SR4759 as powders of choice in the loading manual for cast. IMR 4350 produces good accuracy at lower velocity in my 356 Win.,, but I want to try some heavier weights at higher velocity with IMR 4320 and 250 gr. cast bullets. Thanks for any feedback in advance, as it takes me a while to get back to the computer sometimes. Just trying to test the waters before I jump in, as is my usual fashion. Besides, 27 dollars for bullets and powder are starting to come pretty dear!

·
Registered
629 Posts
YO CHRIS!!

Long time no see you post.......... I've moved back to West Virginia from New Mexico, and am settling into the mountains in the north east corner. Hope all is well on the home front!

Lobo in West Virginia

·
Registered
629 Posts
Chris,

These popped up while I was on another post....thought they might provide some info for you.

Lobo in West Virginia

BTB, .358, 185 gr and Lil Gun JRR Handgun Cartridges 0 04-11-2003 10:25 PM

.358 Win loads. Bandito Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 0 03-29-2003 02:19 PM

.358 resurrected ! in BLR !! ENGLANDER Leverguns and Their Cartridges 5 01-05-2003 09:11 PM

.358 Win and X-Bullet??? Sleeper Handloading Precedures/Practices 3 08-21-2002 01:30 AM

.358 Winchester John S Rifles and Rifle Cartridges 3 01-08-2001 06:37 PM

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Chris,

You might find that using RL-7, H335, or H322 will yield more acceptable higher velocity results than does IMR 4320. My experience, and the feedback from our customers indicate that these powders, for your intended purposes have given outstanding performance with a minimal of load develpment and tinkering.

In doing your load work-ups make sure that you seat those big 250g cast bullets with the ogive firmly engaging the lands in the throat when chambered for best results. If you find that the base/gas check of the bullet is below the bottom of the case neck, then a little Super-Grex, cornmeal or creame-of-wheat case filler might be in order to enhance accuracy.

Let us know how you make out with your project.

God Bless

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you fellas! Lobo....great to hear from you and that you are back in our neck of the woods. I'm not much further on the this 356 Win. project then when we used to correspond on the cast bullet list eons ago. But, slowly but surely I'm getting there. My little brain has picked up on the good advice that you, Slim, Marshall, Jack...etc have given and is probably the reason I haven't blown myself up yet. Many thanks to you and still hope we can burn up some powder in our 35's someday. State College, PA has a great state sponsored range so let me know if you make it up here. Marshall....many thanks for your info, and will try and get those bullets right on the rifling. With the non existent throat on my BB94, It should be no problem!! That has worked well for me in the past with the 200 grainers. As soon as I get released from child duty on good behavior, will hopefully get some testing done at the range. God Bless and good shooting to all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts