Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright was looking through some of my loading data, and I was wondering since Hodgdon now owns IMR or Vice Versa, is IMR 4350 and H4350 about the same? Could I use IMR in place of Hodgdon.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
The powders are close but not the same.
Looking through my reloading manuals it appears you'd be safe substuting H4350 for IMR4350, since it usually takes more H to get to the velocities IMR can achieve with less powder. All the same I would follow standard proceedure when changing a component .... start low and work up while watching for pressure signs and not exceeding the published maximum charge.

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
QuickLOAD's database suggests the two are close enough in burning characteristics that they can be substituted at the starting load level, but due to lot-to-lot differences alone, you don't want to drop the Australian-made H4350 into the place of the Canadian-made IMR4350 at a higher charge level. Since Hodgdon now owns IMR, you can look at the Hodgdon load data site for what Hodgdon has tested the differences to be with your chambering and bullet weight.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so if what you are saying Nick. If the data calls for 64 grains of H4350 ( starting load), I can start with 64 Grains of Imr -4350? Is that correct?

I am working up some different loads for my 270 Wby. Using 140 Grain Nosler Accubonds.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,185 Posts
NO!! H4350 is made in Australia, IMR4350 is now made in Canada.

Follow the book or bad things could happen.

RJ

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Ok, so if what you are saying Nick. If the data calls for 64 grains of H4350 ( starting load), I can start with 64 Grains of Imr -4350? Is that correct?

I am working up some different loads for my 270 Wby. Using 140 Grain Nosler Accubonds.

Rugerfan, in my experience, H4350 seems to be a little lower in pressure and slower than IMR4350.

You could substitute H4350 for IMR4350 by charge weight but not go the other way.
I played with a lot of H4350 and IMR4350 trying to find the load that my rifles preferred and from what I can see from my notes, equal weight loads of IMR4350 produced 40-70 fps more velocity than similar weights of H4350. It made little difference in accuracy for my .375 H&H but my 30-06 really shot better with the IMR4350.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i feel like stirring the pot a little... do you suppose that now that AA 4350 is made by the same people in the same facility that the IMR is made that those two might be interchangeable?

BTW recoil junky, the way i took unclenicks post to read he said that it is ok to start at the same start load but that the maximum will be different... i'll have to reread to make sure but that was the way i took it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rugerfan, in my experience, H4350 seems to be a little lower in pressure and slower than IMR4350.

You could substitute H4350 for IMR4350 by charge weight but not go the other way.
I played with a lot of H4350 and IMR4350 trying to find the load that my rifles preferred and from what I can see from my notes, equal weight loads of IMR4350 produced 40-70 fps more velocity than similar weights of H4350. It made little difference in accuracy for my .375 H&H but my 30-06 really shot better with the IMR4350.
Thanks, I am just going to stick with the manuals recommendations.

For awhile I could find all kinds of loads for the 270 Wby using IMR 4350, and have several loads that I have printed from the nosler website, and a few others. Then lately all the sites seem to be listing H4350.

So I thought maybe they it could be substituted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts